Thursday, September 20, 2007

Who needs reality when we have reality TV?

Well, now Smoking Hot Roommate is sick, too. Although she has magical healing powers of her own and was well enough at 5:30 this morning to go for her usual morning run. Yea, she is weird...we have established that.

It did justify more Chinese Food, though:-) And since The Boy's Twin Sister came with me to Munchkin's soccer game and we ate chicken parm subs while we watched, I think I qualify as a certified "Fat Kid". Because I totally ate Chinese Food, too. Whatever...I need to gain weight, Doctor's orders;-) Very nice visit with Twin Sister:-)

I watched a ton of cheesy reality TV last night, and I really feel the need to discuss it in detail. So, here, by series, are my thoughts (other than "I just got dumber for watching this.")

America's Next Top Model - I am starting with this because I am pretty sure I used to babysit for this girl. I babysat a little girl that was a friend of hers and she was around a lot, so I saw for her by extension...at least I am like 99% sure of that. I remember her being really a hideously evil child...even when she was like 10 or 11.

This show should be renamed "Tyra! Tyra! Tyra!" because it is totally all about her. Remember the first season when the house had rooms dedicated to famous models, so there was like the Twiggy Room and the Cheryl Tiegs room with tons of old pictures of them. And now the whole house is all Tyra, all the time. I feel like The Soup does a good job of capturing Tyra's complete self-absorption, if you ever watch that...

Finally, I can't believe they threw off the girl from Walpole, MA just for the sheer brilliance of her accent. "I'm a bah-tendah" were like the first words out of her mouth. And she was pretty enough that I would have put her in the top five just for that.

Rock of Love with Bret Michaels - Love it. Totally love it. Not quite the train wreck that you get from the Flavor Flav related shows, but just as trashy. It amazes me that there is such an ample supply of completely crazy, fame-obsessed people in the world to keep staffing these shows, but the well seems far from dry.

So we are down to two finalists...Jes and Heather. Jes is the clearly superior choice (and not just because she is from suburban Chicago:-)). She is gorgeous, and really funny and genuinely nice. Obviously a little bit nuts...she is on the show after all, and clearly has a guys name tattooed on her shoulder that has been inked over...but seems like a neat person. But he should pick Heather, because she is much more like him. Both she and Bret are trashy and way past their prime (yea, if she is 32 then I am like 14) and seem like a better match. Jes can do better.

Top Chef - I am kind of new to this one. I have seen bits in previous seasons (and eaten at a restaurant where the Season 1(?) second place girl works) but never really watched. But I saw a bunch last week and now I am hooked through the end of the season. And who doesn't love Padma? Can someone explain to me how she was married to this guy? That is weird!!! I am rooting for Casey, but I don't really dislike any of the people that are left.

Project Runway - I know this isn't on yet, but I am so fired up for this that I can barely contain myself! This is like my favorite show on TV, and I love every second of it. If Tim Gunn were just not so gay I would move to New York and throw myself at him...I worship that man! And who can argue with Heidi Klum, who manages to get pregnant every season, and look like she could model underwear at like 7 1/2 months. In fact, she did a Victoria's Secret fashion show like three weeks after having her last baby. How is that possible?!?!?

Survivor should be on soon, and I still like that. And Idol has to be back soon, too. And The Amazing Race...how do I ever have any free time?

10 comments:

Aaron said...

I've been saying Top Chef is the shiznit forever now. You're a little late in the game. You need to catch the marathon reruns on BravoTV.

Tiff Fernie said...

OMG I'm completely obsessed with Rock of Love! I can't stand it and I'm so frustrated with myself about it! :-) I can't wait for the season finale!! I would like Jess to win, but you are right... Heather and Bret are perfect for each other!!

Glad to hear you're visit with Twin Sister was good! Hope you get feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

I have a hard time with Padma. Sometimes I like her, other times...I question her sincerity. I don't think I like her and I'm not sure why....

And Project Runway is such a great show!! Love it!

ella said...

I can't even watch "America's Next Top Model" anymore. It should be called the Tyra show.

Talk Soup is the best! Didn't they call refer to the Brett Michael's show as some sort of STD party?

I watched "Kitchen Nightmares" last night, and it wasn't half bad...

Ally said...

Your recap makes me glad I don't have cable:) Although I do miss The Soup, which does a perfect job of summarizing all of this.

So basically Tyra has two shows all about herself bc I'm pretty sure her talk show is all about Tyra as well, right? And is it just me or are some of the girls on Top Model not attractive?

notbubbly said...

I definitely watch(ed) all of those shows by last night too. Plus, Kid Nation. You need to investigate this one and ask yourself as a quasi-parent, who would send their kids to this?

megabrooke said...

well you know i share in your sentiments about miss tyra. yet i will continue to watch the show. i thought the people from mass (other than the one i like, sarah?) were not great representations of what we're like here. sure, the girl had a boston accent... but she laid it on SO THICK, that it really wasnt classy at all.

Anonymous said...

I don't get Rock of Love here in Canada yet. But I will most likely watch it when it does come on my music channel...I have to say I was a HUGE Poison fan, especially Bret Michaels. I know. But I am 10 years older than AM.

Whine Girl said...

I didn't start watching Rock of Love when it began but you can catch up on a weekend or late at night when they play 5 in a row... so that's what I did a couple weeks ago. Interesting. I was surprised he seems somewhat smart... but rode hard of course.

The Bachelor starts tonight.. yay!! That's my alltime favorite. I finished Big Brother and thought it was probably the best season for shits and giggles.. I couldn't STAND evil dick and his daughter... and they ended up winning! Ackkkkk

I'm a huge Amazing Race fan, so hopefully that comes back soon too.

All I can say about these shows is: I love my TiVo!

Whine Girl said...

ps... never watched top chef before.. but lastnight I couldn't sleep and finally caught it... not too bad!