Thursday, May 01, 2008

Idol

Is anyone else really disappointed in this season's American Idol? I don't see a person in the bunch who would have been top 2-3 in seasons past. I loved Brooke and Jason Castro early on, but both kind of faded. I liked the Australian guy, but he faded, too.

I think David Cook is my favorite, but he is not really that great, and takes himself a little too "I am a rocker" seriously. I get it...you can sound like Alice in Chains covering Neil Diamond. I can't stand Squinty Archuletta. He sings with a lisp, never opens his eyes, seems borderline Asberger's and has a totally gay voice. Maybe when his voice changes he will be better, but I really think he is dreadful. And the judges love him, and I have no idea why...he is like a really good singer from a musical at your local High School.

I like Syesha because she is gorgeous and has a really nice voice. But she is pretty boring, and I can't say there is anything special about her. I feel like the voters dropped the ball in each of the last couple of seasons (Taylor Hicks? Jordin Sparks? Please...) and I am wondering if the show is past it's useful life. Paula, however, continues to amaze! Reviewing things that haven't happened yet? Brilliant!

So, if I had to pick a winner, I would say David Cook, but I am not real enthusiastic about it. He is kind of a poser, and I am not sure I see him as a start beyond this show. The Irish girl they sent home last week is probably the one most likely to be a significant star, provided she finds the right songwriters and producers.

On a totally separate note, we have a foundation at work and I have been asked to join the committee that oversees it. I am pretty excited about that:-). First, the partners asked me because they said I am in touch with everyone in the firm enough to understand what they might want out of it, so that makes me feel good. And second, it is a pretty big foundation that makes some pretty large gifts, so it will be fun to help out with that. I am not sure how the politics work, and whether I will have a whole lot of input in the beginning, but hopefully I eventually will.

I guess that is it for today. Not terribly exciting, I know:-). But what can I say, I am becoming a boring person!

3 comments:

Lpeg said...

Very cool on the foundation.

As for Idol - Jason and Brooke should've been sent home before Carly. I was afraid Syesha was going home last night when Jason was safe - she's done better these past couple weeks and I think it should show!

I really liked the Australian, but he's gone - and I do like David Cook, mainly because I like to listen to him sing, although sometimes he could tune down the rocker in his voice.

Anonymous said...

The only way Idol would be fair is if each phone number could vote only one time. And even then... I love David Cook, even though I though he was super nerdy at first. I like Syesha too. I think it will be David vs David in the final. But America can be unpredictable...

boohoo said...

i can't believe the idol shows are still running. i don't think anyone from the uk is still around after winning one of those shows. i watched the first one with will young and then got bored. hehe.

congratulations on the foundation :) i hope that works out well for you!