Thursday, August 29, 2013

Empty Nest

OK, so calling my condo and "empty nest" when there is a pair of three-year-olds running around is a bit misleading, but the cruel fact is that the residency level has dropped by 20%...

Last night was Munchkin's first night in her dorm, which makes me a little bit teary. We move most of her stuff earlier this week, and she has been back and forth a bit to meet the kids on her floor, do some orientation stuff and to bring some other stuff over. But last night was the first night she actually slept there...

I'm not quitting her cold turkey, though! She is back for chicken fingers tonight, obviously, and will probably stay at home. He classes don't start until next week, so she may still be back and forth a little bit before she is really there full time. And maybe she will still be back and forth all the time...I'd be totally cool with that!!!

I forgot to mention that we met her roommate when we were in Paris. The roommate assignment process is very detailed, so I have kind of assumed all along that Munchkin's profile of being local and French-fluent would be likely to land her a foreign roommate from a French-speaking country. So, not the least bit surprisingly, he roommate is Ivorian...at least technically. She was born in the Ivory Coast and lived there for maybe half her life, but then re-located with her family to suburban Paris.

In a level of cuteness that makes my heart want to explode, Frenchie actually met her about two weeks before we did...the assignment came, and being relatively close to each other, Future Roommate and Frenchie met for lunch. He approved, which was a good start.

And then we met her when we were there. She seems very serious, but not overly tightly-wound, and she is very personable and her English is just as good as Munchkin's French, so they can get to work on inventing some kind of weird hybrid that only they will know. I think they will get along just fine!

We are headed to the beach for the last weekend of the summer, which makes me so incredibly sad. I am very much a creature of summer, and while I like Fall just fine, I hate Winter so much that its impending arrival actually makes me kinda hate Fall, too. I suppose I will get over it...

I guess that's it. I am just going to go on pretending that I am not a complete emotional basket-case over the growing up of my sister:-)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I would have LOVED a French-speaking roommate my freshman year. I was definitely not fluent at 18, though. That came along at 22-23.

Anonymous said...

I know I have probably asked it before but I can’t remember. Which University is Munchkin going to? I know, there are the two big ones in Boston and it will be one of them, but which one I can’t remember.

And what about Frenchie? I thought is going to go to University in the USA too? Where did he end up?

Accidentally Me said...

Belle - She didn't speak a word of French until she was 14! She took Spanish at school before that (and her Spanish is actually pretty good...) But then she met a boy, and her interests changed;-) She started studying on her own, and then she switched into French at school, and she talked with him a lot - even though his English is perfect. She could carry on a conversation with a stranger within probably a year and a half, and now she's basically at "native speaker" status. She is ridiculously smart, and when she puts her mind to something, the results are pretty dramatic.

Steffi - I'll email you!

Lori S-C said...

ahhh, moving forward! Both of you will make it through this transition. I cried for 6 hours on the plane when we first left daughter in Boston. And guess who moved back here after 6 years away...
Glad that brilliant sister of yours is off to a great start! Hang in there! You'll be a pro by the time you deliver the twins to their coleges...