Friday, February 15, 2013

I'm not really sure if this is funny or not...

I have a couple of updates on Valentine's Day...

First, I conveniently woke up at about 6:15 yesterday morning, which is at least half an hour before the girls wake up, and was plenty of time to engage in some Valentine's morning mischief...an awfully good way to start the day;-)

Second, the boys in the office are up to something, and I am not sure what. Two days ago, they brought me lunch, unsolicited (the truth is that they bring me lunch all the time, usually because I ask them to). Then yesterday, they generously brought flowers and candy for all the girls in the office, just because they were being nice. I may have eaten candy and enjoyed the flowers all day, but I am absolutely positive that they want something...I just don't know what yet!

Third, I had a Valentine's Day date with Munchkin (it was Thursday after all). We don't get out every Thursday like we used to, but we are still pretty good about it, and I would say we probably have dinner more than every other week. She was gone for five days last weekend, is gone again this weekend for three, and was on her way to stay at a friend's house last night...so I really wanted to spend some time with her. And if you are keeping track, Thursday dinners are still almost always chicken fingers...

So, we chatted about school and her friends' boy troubles and various other nonsense. It wasn't very crowded, and we were in no kind of a rush, so we sat for a bit before we ordered dinner. After maybe half an hour, the server brought us two martinis, put them on the table and told us that they were from three gentlemen sitting at the end of the bar, who politely waived at us.

Several things...first of all, we have been going there for years and are friendly with the staff (i.e., they are aware that my sister is substantially under the drinking age), but the waiter and bartender must be knew because I have never seen them before. But still, I question their diligence in enforcing liquor laws, as no one asked anyone for an ID...

By now, you probably know that I make friends easily. I talk to people, people talk to me, I'm a relatively social creature. Which meant that, OF COURSE, I had to quiz these guys on their entire thought process...turns out they were quite nice. They didn't see my wedding ring, so they assumed that we were two single girls out commiserating on Valentine's Day. Which is pretty stupid...it is basically a sports bar, and there has never, ever, been a pair of single women who went to such a place to commiserate on Valentine's Day.

Further, I discovered that they were all between 31 and 34, single, worked together and were here before going out for the night. I asked them to estimate my age, and they said 26. Then I asked them to guess Munchkin's age, and they said 28.

Oy.

Which at least had the benefit of leading to one of them asking his friend..."Wait, did we just commit a felony?"


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahahahaha. Honestly, this story is just as amusing the second time I read it as it was the first time.