Friday, November 12, 2010

Related to nothing

Is there anything better than seeing-eye-dogs?

I love them. Like, seriously get warm feelings in my heart every time I see one. I think that I would carry Milk Bones and hand them out every time I saw one if it wouldn't distract them from working.

And when you really think about it, it is a pretty remarkable thing...for a person to be able to gain that kind of freedom, independence, assistance and companionship (and, frankly, protection) without having to rely on other people constantly.

It also reminds me a a beautiful picture that was hanging on the wall in the studio of our wedding photographer of a bride and groom and her beautiful black lab emerging from a church. His coat was so shiny that it looked like he had gotten dressed formally for the occasion:-)

I think I may make this one of my favorite charities: www.guidedogsofamerica.org

3 comments:

Thisisme said...

I met one the other day that was trained to wake her owner up. . .she suffered from narcolepsy! AMAZING!

Robbie said...

I have to tell you I love the idea of seeing eye dogs. There is a guy that comes to service the vending machines at work and he has a seeing eye dog. However, every time he leaves, the machine works worse than before, so maybe the guy with the seeing eye dog shouldn't be the one who is in charge of programming the machine.............but it's not the dogs fault.

Anonymous said...

I'm late to this party but: YES. One of our dogs was a leader dog and, OH, he was just so good and smart. He was just freaked out by busy traffic...and he was trained to live with a man in Madrid. So he came to the suburbs of Detroit, instead.

Three cheers for seeing eye dogs!