Thursday, February 17, 2011

Jeopardy!

As I think we have gone over, Jeopardy is pretty much my favorite show. Yea, I am that kinda nerd...and while we are at it, I love bar trivia, too. That, however, is kind of unimportant.

Like a lot of people, I watched IBM's computer play Jeopardy the last three nights against the two greatest players in Jeopardy history. And seriously, watching the computer was really amazing...it is a remarkable feat in computing.

That said...the shows were kind of a disappointment. It was great to watch the computer, but as a competitive exercise, it really only highlighted that the computer can ring in faster than the guys could. I think we probably all knew that already. If you watched, both guys knew virtually every answer, they could just never beat the computer in ringing in right after the window opened (also, the computer getting all six daily doubles over two days skewed things).

I think I would have rather that they determined what the average time is for a person to ring in if they try and get in right when the window opens...then made the computer automatically buzz in at that time. That at least would have made it a question-answering contest instead of just a buzzing contest.

Anyway, if this is my biggest disappointment this year, then it will probably be a pretty good year:-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bar trivia is the best.

Silly fast ringing computer. Sort of ruined the fun.

Kari said...

I love Jeopardy, but rarely watch it these days. Whenever we would visit my gramma we would watch it. She was deaf and it was one of the few shows then that had reliable closed captioning. She would totally have hated the fast ringing in computer!

Kraneia said...

No doubt! I thought the idea was neat, but it wasn't much of a "Challenge", we knew pretty much after the first day the computer was going to win it.

Glad the money went to charity though.

Aye,
Scratch