Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day

First things first...love Nilsa's post today about finding time for yourself. Ask any new mother about how much she loves grocery shopping by herself and you will get an interesting answer!

Moving on...

I have never really had strong feelings about Valentine's Day...I know a lot of people really hate it and the way it seems to mock the single. And I know people who secretly love being validated by getting gifts and feel the need to create lavish and expensive faux-romantic experiences.

Me? I do love flowers:-) But that is about it. The Boy sent me flowers at work, which he does every year, and which still makes me smile and will brighten my whole week by making my cube more colorful. I sent him some fresh baked cookies from a bakery that delivers. He saved me a chocolate chip one, because he knows that there would have been hell to pay if he hadn't...

So, I guess that is my new definition of love: knowing to save me a chocolate chip cookie:-)

Meanwhile, I got a phone call from our doorman mid-day, telling me that Munchkin had just received an enormous vase full of flowers, and asking what I wanted him to do with it before we all came home (really he was asking for permission to go into our apartment to drop it off and get it out of the way.) I should have taken a picture, but I didn't...but it sort of looked like this:


Only, say, twice the size. Frenchie, apparently, is a big believer in Valentine's Day...or at least a big believer in making Munchkin feel loved:-). Which she did! I think she was a little taken aback, in a good way, at the scope of the whole thing...it was a pretty striking visual to walk through the door to. Unfortunately, Monday is a late day for her, so she didn't get home until almost six, at which point it was too late to call him, which she was a little bummed about. But she was up really early to call him during his lunch hour today, which is sorta cute:-)

The Boy ended up taking her with him to the wedding last weekend, which is also kind of adorable. There was one slightly awkward moment with a friend's wife who knows me, but doesn't know Munchkin, and was concerned that he had already thrown me out for a better looking option...but that got straightened out quickly:-)

She also got picked up by an eight year old, so her powers extend to men of all ages. (I would have given almost anything to be there when the little boy walked up and asked her if she would dance with him!)

Smoking Hot Roommate stayed over on Saturday, and we had a lot of stupid fun. We ordered sushi, hung around in our pajamas and talked about total nonsense all night. Kinda awesome:-)

Skiing this weekend...everyone wish The Boy luck on his own!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Good luck Boy! LOL... Sounds like you all had a good Valentine's Day! I am so with you on the flowers.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Well, at least you're good at practicing what you preach ... have fun skiing!!! =)

Ys said...

I'm the same as you when it comes to Valentines Day. We just like to use it as an excuse to go out for food :) I like flowers or balloons but really, again, Valentines Day is just an excuse hehe. I tend to think Valentines Day is for single people, or new couples.

Enjoy the skiing :D

Anonymous said...

Awww. Munchkin and Frenchie are so endlessly cute.

Happy belated Valentine's Day! :)