Sunday, July 29, 2007

My Big (kinda) Sister's Wedding:-)

Normally I don't post at night, but I am feeling kinda skippy and am not sure I will be able to write tomorrow, so I am gonna write some stuff down now. Two subjects, both of which I have a lot to say about.

First, the wedding was absolutely phenomenal, and the whole weekend was just about perfect. We spent the day at the beach (mostly) on Friday. A lot of both his and her family was in town already, and a lot more arrived during the day. So it was a lot of fun to be able to just relax, see some people I know and haven't seen in a while, and to meet a lot of people I didn't know before this. Everyone is obviously in a pretty good mood, since it is a wedding and a vacation for a lot of people.

The rehearsal dinner was totally low-key, but TONS of fun. The original plan, way back when, was to do a pretty traditional dinner at a restaurant...but that got nixed. Instead, they did a clambake on the front lawn at the house, and it was awesome! The caterer came with huge boiling vats, and grills and cooked just a massive mountain of lobsters and steamers and corn on the cob, as well as chicken and steak for the non-seafood lovers. It was a really great way to see people in a really relaxed environment again. Plus, The Boy arrived ahead of schedule, which was an awfully nice surprise for me:-) It is possible that we had sex in the three minutes that we took to "bring his bag upstairs"...but I will never tell...:-)

Saturday was actually not nearly as hectic as I had thought it would be. Part of that is because Big Sis was totally cool the whole time, and not at all spazzed out over the whole thing. Truth be told, she was never a "bride" during this whole process. She really cut out tons of the bullshit that girls get encouraged to spend tons of time on that ends up driving them crazy. one cares about the fucking invitations. If you spent more than 20 minutes ordering them, you wasted a lot of time. OK, I am digressing...

So, she didn't really sweat any of the details, and that relaxes everyone else. The ceremony started at 5:00, and we were actually sitting on the beach until almost noon. Then it was upstairs to get ready...which meant to shower, then to eat lunch, and then to have our hair done. Big Sis had the hairdressers come to us, which was really nice:-) There was a lot of craziness in the house while the caterers got all the tables and chairs set up and started cooking and whatnot, but we avoided all of that. Basically, the seven of us in the bridal party showered and dressed at our leisure, chatted, ate, and drank a lot of champagne.

Munchkin was really breathtaking. She looked so grown up, and like such a little lady. I knew I would cry when I saw her all dressed and made up, but both Smoking Hot Roommate and Big Sis did some crying, too. It is just the sort of moment that makes me think about a lot, and to see her look so beautiful, and so happy...well, it is just a lot to take. Yes, I am welling up again...moving on...

The ceremony was stunning. It was a gorgeous night, so they did the ceremony out on the side of the house, looking out over the ocean. I managed to fulfill my bridesmaid duties without a hitch (walk slow, smile, hold flowers, file out in order...). Munchkin thought the idea of walking down the aisle on the arm of a really good looking guy in a tuxedo (The Brain Surgeon's friend from medical school) and then getting to dance with him at the reception was just about the coolest thing ever, so she thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

I might have possibly cried a bit during the ceremony, too:-) Big Sis was absolutely beaming, as brides usually do. He dress was amazing...simple and elegant and really flattering... she looked gorgeous and so incredibly happy, and that made me cry a bit, too:-) Yeah, I cry easily, what's your point?

After that, we took pictures on the beach, and over in the garden, which wasn't too painful. I haven't seen them yet, and the photographer said it would be a couple weeks before they were all online, so don't hold your breath on Remind me in a month... We had plenty of time to mingle during the cocktail hour, which was on the lawn, as the sun was starting to go down and was, well, just about perfect. Appetizers and cocktails are my favorite part of weddings:-)

And the reception was great as well:-) Great food, great music, fun people...I danced for like the whole time. I ditched my shoes almost right away (it is nice to be taller, but it is even nicer to not be in hideous pain...) but my feet and back and legs are still killing me from dancing for like five straight hours. I feel like I drank a ton...but I was barely tipsy, so I must have done OK. I let Munchkin have a half of glass of champagne during the toast, which the caterer yelled at me bad:-D The Boy got kinda wasted, and was a really cute drunk...right up to the point that I didn't get laid because he passed out...(boo!!!)

I realize that this is kind of the cliff notes version, but it is hard to get a whole weekend wedding extravaganza into one post. You can email if you have specific questions;-) I do, however, want to highlight Smoking Hot Roommate's incredibly touching toast, which reduced her father (and a lot of other people) to a blubbering mess for a minute. She talked briefly about losing their mom, and about how much Big Sis had meant to her after that. And then, to close, she said "Brain Surgeon, I really wish our mother could have been here, because she really would have liked you." Waterworks...

So that made me cry for like the fourth time, although that was the last one, I think;-)

We saw everyone again this morning for a final brunch, which was a nice way to say goodbye to everyone. Then we packed up this afternoon and drove home only to find that it is brutally hot and humid in the city...and I guess it was all weekend. It was pretty darn nice at the beach;-)

Now, on to issue #2, which is that I am getting really nervous. I am taking Munchkin to the airport in the morning so she can go to Chicago for a week to visit her brother. She is really excited, even though she is so exhausted from the weekend that she fell asleep at 7:30. I'll pack her bag for her so she doesn't have to do it in the morning...she needs her rest.

And then Tuesday morning I have to go in for my surgery. There is a part of me saying "Why am I doing this if I don't really have to?" but the lump continues to freak me out and irritate me, so I will go nuts if I don't get it removed. I also kinda wish Munchkin was gonna be around. I am doing it this week specifically because she won't be, which will make it easier, but I also know that I would feel better if she were there when I got home. Yes, I am a dork...I know.

I will be in the hospital all day, but don't have to stay over. I don't need general anesthesia, which is good...I don't like the idea of that. But the doctor said it will not be a totally minor procedure, and that I will be in quite a bit of pain for a couple days, and then discomfort for a while. So that part doesn't sound fun. But I will live:-) And I will feel better when the lump is gone, that's for sure.

So that is about was great, Munchkin is off on another vacation, and I am getting nervous;-) Wish me luck!


Ally said...

I don't even know these people, and I teared up reading about SHR's toast.
Bravo to Big Sis for not getting consumed by things that don't matter (like invitations, flowers, etc.).

I'll be thinking about you on Tuesday:)

nicole d. said...

I am glad it was a great wedding, especially weatherwise. There is nothing more fun than a great wedding. I even got a lump in my throat when you mentioned SHR's speech. As for your surgery, here are some positive vibes coming your way. This time next week, you won't even have discomfort. Or the worry :).

Ys said...

Aww that sounded like a great wedding. All the ones I've been to have been quite hectic. I plan my wedding to be that calm ;)

Good luck with the surgery. And also good luck with losing the Munchkin for the week. Letting them go is always hard - even if it is only for a week.

2xA+r0n said...

Apparently, you needed to spend more than 20 minutes on invites because I didn't get mine!

I'll say a prayer for your surgery. :)

e.b. said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend. I hope they are out enjoying their honey moon!

Seriously good wishes and thoughts for tomorrow. It will be totally fine. I know that the build up and anxiety end up being the worst part.

Princess Extraordinaire said...

Wow, the wedding sounds incredible and so beautiful...of course you were going to cry..I would have bawled too...and seeing munchkin and big sis looking so radiant had to make you weepy... with regard to your surgery - you're in my thoughts...

ella w. said...

I'm glad you are getting the lump removed. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. I'm sure it will go off without a hitch.

Never That Easy said...

Sounds like a fabulous wedding: it's wonderful when it can be non-stressful!

Sending all my "get better soon vibes" your way!

Accidentally Me said...

To all...thanks for the kind wishes:-) I am officially super nervous, and it all helps! I have a great doctor and I know I am in really good hands, but I am still on edge. At least I will get a cool scar!

Nicole - I like thinking about it that way!

YS - I have actually kind of been an absentee parent all summer...she has spent a LOT of time at the beach with people other than me. I'll miss her, but she really does love to see her brother.

2X - You didn't get your invite? And here we were thinking you were just too rude to respond...must have been lost in the mail...;-)