Wednesday, May 21, 2008

In celebration of summer

What is up with Shopittome.com? I haven't really had a chance to visit the site yet, but I got three separate email invitations to join at almost the exact same time yesterday (from three of my most favoritest blogger-chicks:-)) so it must be good. Seems like the basic idea is that you tell it what your favorite clothing brands and sizes are, and they inform you when things in your size are on sale.

Anywho...Anybody have any plans for the long weekend? For my foreign readers, this coming Monday is Memorial Day...a day intended to remember all those who have died while serving in the US armed forces since the country's birth. Seems like maybe those people deserve more than one day, but I suppose it is better than nothing...

I love Memorial Day. I think, in my pantheon of Holidays, it is probably #2, and definitely no worse than #3. Unless you count my birthday (which everyone should!), in which case it falls one spot:-). For the record, Thanksgiving is #1 on that list.

My love of Memorial Day is basically because of its spot on the calendar. It serves as the unofficial beginning of summer, and that, my friends, is a very, very good thing! Just on its merits, July 4th is probably a better Holiday (same concept...long weekend in the summer) but more parades and fireworks. And better weather. But, because Memorial Day announces the summer season (at least for those of us that live north of, say Tennessee), it has always been my favorite.

Some of this could stem from the seasonal depression I used to suffer from. It caused an abnormal love of summer;-). But, mostly I think I just have a lot of good memories of summer. I was never really a "well-supervised" kid, and I had a lot of freedom all through the year, but taking school out of the equation enhanced that. Even though I always loved school, I liked summers even better. And still do;-)

I love the beach, and the associated bikinis, sun, freckles, jet ski rides, lemonade, sunsets and trashy magazines. Seriously, I am WAY behind on my celebrity gossip. I love the warm evenings and the long walks in tank tops, hippie skirts and flip flops. I love being able to have a drink outside. I love putting my hair up by pushing my sunglasses up my head! I just basically love everything about summer. And the ice cream!!!

And this weekend is the ceremonial beginning of all that is good and right. Unfortunately, the weather is not supposed to be great, so I doubt there will be any laying on the beach...which kinda kills a lot of the mood. But that's ok, because I know it is right around the corner:-)

1 comment:

anne said...

Bring it on!
Even though it is hotter than hell here there is still a freeness associated with summer that is different than the rest of the year.