Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Parenting by blog consensus...

Busy like a crazy motherfucker lately! What the hell has gotten into me and why am I working so much? It is very unlike me...and someone needs to get me sidetracked with a four hour IM conversation about nothing pretty soon to set the Universe back into order.

Did everyone enjoy the long weekend? Mine was very nice, even though the weather was good but not beach-nice. Bright and sunny but just a little too chilly to lay out (unless you had a sweatshirt on, in which case it was divine!) Big crowd at the beach house, which is always a good time...I am a firm proponent of "the more the merrier". I feel like there is a network effect to cooking out.

It was just too chilly to take the jet skis out, so my traditional Sunday morning ride with Munchkin will have to wait until at least this weekend. Actually, probably next weekend, for two reasons. One is that the weather is not supposed to be great, and the second to be discussed momentarily.

The little twerp is done with school on Friday, and I am obscenely jealous. Seriously...what could possibly be better than summer vacation? It sounds especially good in the midst of the monster amount of work I have been doing lately. But I am not really complaining, it has been interesting work.

OK...my issue for the day: parenting advice.

Munchkin is just finishing sixth grade. Because the school she goes to is so small, they hang out across age groups a lot, and many of her friends are older than her. As I have mentioned a couple of times (;-)), she is super-hot. Like really, really gorgeous. And boys like her. A lot. A lot of boys really like her a lot.

Every year, they have an eighth grade banquet to mark the move of the eighth graders from middle school to high school (it is more symbolic than anything...they are all in the same place). It is a sorta-fancy dance where the kids get all dressed up and have like a super scaled-down prom. And Munchkin has been invited by one of the fine, upstanding your lads in eighth grade.

So far, no problem. She had an eighth grade boyfriend in the fall which was a non-event, a couple of her good girl friends are in that class, and she is friendly with most of them. The issue is that many of the kids are going to one kid's house after the party and sleeping over. And Munchkin really wants to go, but I am not sure I like the idea that much.

I can't quite put my finger on why it bothers me, though. She has been to co-ed sleepovers before...one of the benefits of all of her friends being so disgustingly loaded is that they all have huge houses where children can be easily separated at night...lol. I think maybe I am a little edgy because the kids are a little older than many of her other friends.

But I also don't know what I am worried about. I already talked to the mother whose house it is...both she and her husband will be there the whole time. There will be six or seven other girls there, several or whom are good friends of hers (i.e., I am not worried about he being in a situation where she suddenly feels alone and under some kind of After School Special-style peer pressure.)

What's more, I just don't have any reason to worry about her. She isn't gonna be pressured into doing anything she doesn't want to, and I completely trust her judgement and decision making. She is a tough chick...much tougher than whatever poor sap of a boy is currently most smitten with her;-P. And while I think of these kids as being much older than her, they really aren't. She is old for her grade, and is probably about an average of a year and a half younger than the rest of them.

So, I dunno...any thoughts? Can someone give me a compelling reason not to let her go?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I honestly don't blame you for feeling uneasy about it. I would too. Why? Well...let me tell you what I started doing in 8th grade...

Or can you guess?

I was older for my grade too. You can trust her, but do you know the other kids well enough to trust them?

Ally said...

I say trust your gut on this one.

Side note: While parents say they'll "be there" that may or may not mean the children will be supervised. My high school boyfriend's mother promised my mother that we were never left alone, etc., when in reality we had no supervision whatsoever.

I realize you have a lot of confidence in Munchkin and her ability to make the right decision, but she's still really young and does not have the benefit of experience. Sometimes avoiding situations is the way to go.

notbubbly said...

I say re-read your post and all the reasons you trust her and the situation and there isn't a compelling reason you shouldn't let her go...

Then again, I'm not a parent so who knows how much I can understand what a 13 year old is like right now....

kristin said...

i think what probably is unique about this situation than others that she's been in is that for this one.. she has a "date." like, someone designated to dance with her, maybe even canoodle her at the end of the night.

but, i think you did the right thing by talking to the host parents. and honestly, if they're true to their word.. everything will be fine. if she's anything like you, she's strong willed and she won't take anyone's crap anyway. :)

anne said...

I sort of think being the mother you can play the "I'm the mom thats why" card and not have a legit reason. I think parenting comes down to instinct and you seem to not want to let her go.

Anonymous said...

I'm generally in the "go with your gut" school of thought.

Yes, Munchkin is a good kid but what do you really know about these other kids? Or maybe I've just watched too many Lifetime movies? :)

You're obviously feeling uneasy for a reason. Only you can decide why.

If it were me? I probably wouldn't let her go.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Had no idea that co-ed sleepovers existed before college. I'm clearly a little out of the loop, but I'd say there's a 0% chance I would let my daughter go. I just don't see the point and can't really come up with a reason TO let her go. To me, there's just a season and an order for things in life. And I'm not sure that 6th grade (or 8th or 9th) is the season for co-ed sleepovers. If she does this now, is she going to be taking trips with guys when she's 14? I guess I just think some boundaries are good - no matter how much you trust her.

Accidentally Me said...

Jessie - Oh you little trollop, you!

Ally - I know the parents a little bit and trust them to do more than just be in the building.

Not Bubbly - I am not a parent, either...that is my problem!

Kristen - Good point on the "date"...that could well be part of it. And no, she will take no crap!

Anne - Oh, absolutely. If I tell her she can't go, she won't give me any shit about it. She may pout for thirty seconds, but she never gives me any trouble on things like this.
Danielle - I know all of the kids at least a little bit, and they are all good kids. It's not like they are gonna be having sex and snorting coke in the basement. Worse case it would be...to use Kristen's word..."canoodling"

E - That is a very valid question. The situation here is that there is a brother in 8th grade and a sister in 7th. It is the same social circle, but I guess it is really two separate parties on the same night. Same with the other one she went to...twins, boy and a girl. Funny you should mention trips...lol...that is a post for a day real soon;-)

Still just me said...

Trust your instincts on this one. Kids these days are growing up way too fast, and I for one would not even allow Logan a co-ed sleep-over with trusted friends.

Parents eventally go to sleep, and kids know how to be very, very quiet.

I wouldn't want Logan to be put in a situation that she is much to young to deal with on her own.

boohoo said...

maybe you're worried she's growing up - subconsciously maybe something's been triggered in your mind and you're worrying about her growing up and not needing you?

but i agree with a lot of the other comments before me: if your guts saying no then go with it.

I'm Not Carrie Bradshaw said...

I think going with Mother's intuition is always a good idea. That being said, I went to Catholic school and, suprisingly, for our 8th grade trip we got to all have a co-ed sleepover at the beach in a church hall. Parents chaperoned and it was all pretty innocent and to this day one of my fondest childhood memories. :-)