Friday, May 30, 2008

This ends with beer coming out The Boy's nose

I think I have solved my latest parenting issue...and many thanks for all of your input, there were some things that were very insightful that I hadn't really thought of.

One thing that e brought up was an aversion to very idea of co-ed sleepovers at this age. And I think that is a pretty fair position...there is no really compelling social reason for it. I didn't mention that the host family has two kids in the school...a boy in 8th grade and a girl in 7th. They have the same circle of friends (actually, it is really cute...they are totally best friends in a way that reminds me of The Boy and Twin Sister). So, really it is like two separate parties at the same time. The other one she went to last year was the same deal: twins in her class.

Anyway, last night was Chicken Finger Thursday (still my favorite day of the week!) and we had a little talk about it. I actually told The Boy to meet us a little bit late so that I would have the chance to talk to her about it privately. You were all right about the parts of it that bothered me...the fact that she has a "date", that the kids are older than her, that there is no way they will be totally supervised, etc. All true, to some degree or another.

What I realized, though, is that I don't really need to worry about other kids, I need to worry about her. And on that front, there is very little to worry about. She knows exactly what I am worried about, and knows the sorts of things that might be "expected" of her, and as usual, she is way out in front of it. In another "wise-beyond-her-years" moment, she told me that she had already spelled out exactly what her interest in her date was. When he asked her to the dance, he actually asked her to be his girlfriend and to go to the dance. And she told him that she wasn't really looking for a boyfriend right now, but that if he wanted to go "as friends" she would love to.

So, once again, I have dramatically underestimated her maturity level. You would think I would have learned by now;-). Long and short, she is going to the sleepover and I feel pretty good about the whole thing.

Oh, and later on, after The Boy joined us and teased her about "making out" with her "new boyfriend," she gave us this gem:

"I don't wanna kiss any boys anymore. All they wanna do now is touch your boobs. What for? None of us even have boobs!"

And that, per the title of this post, is what caused The Boy to laugh beer out of his nose.

Have a good weekend, everyone;-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you make a fine "mother" :) ... the fact that you make time to talk to Munchkin openly about your concerns is a lot more than more "traditional" parents do.

Also ....you can let Munchkin know that my coffee nearly came out of my nose on that one ;)

Lpeg said...

Now that, that is great.

I love the relationship you have with munchkin, and that she is able to handle, maturely, social situations that 'could' potentially be trouble, but with a sensible head on her shoulders, she's good to go.

hell, she sounds more mature than 1/2 the high school kids out there!

Aaron said...

"I don't wanna kiss any boys anymore. All they wanna do now is touch your boobs. What for? None of us even have boobs!"

That sounds like all the reason you need...

boohoo said...

Hehehe, I remember those days. At least Munchkin knows they have no boobs - I was completely of the opinion that I had boobs hahaha.