Monday, October 20, 2008

I'll give you a special day...right in your face!!!

It is really fucking cold outside, and has been for three days. The nice warm fall we were having? Nope...replaced overnight on Friday with a cold, dry, wintry weather front. It made Saturday morning kind of cozy...I got to wrap up in a scarf and mittens and Munchkin's super cute "Chicks Rule" hat (it is a baby blue winter hat with a cartoon chicken and the words Chicks Rule:-)). It was actually a beautiful morning to be outside with a cup of coffee to watch soccer. Really cold for the girls, but nice to be bundled up watching.

Dress shopping was not all that exciting. Actually, kind of annoying. I had fun because I always have fun hanging out with Smoking Hot Roommate and Munchkin, but the process itself was stressful and irritating. I won't bore you with the details, but the short version is that there are simply too many brides around!!! And, the next person who tells me that this is "my special day" is getting punched in the teeth.

I am kinda sour on the whole "wedding industry"...I am having a hard time articulating what it is that bothers me, but I find the whole thing to be sort of sexist and degrading. It is like the whole thing is set up to tell girls that they peak on this day, and everything is down hill afterwards. I dunno...I am not sure I really know how to say what I am thinking about it.

I think we made Munchkin try on more dresses than I did...is that bad of us? It was kinda fun:-) She is fun to dress up...lol. And, since most dresses are cut for women who actually have bodies that look like women, most of them look better on her anyway...:-D. So, I didn't find anything that I really liked beyond a really simple white dress. I may keep looking a bit, but I am pretty sure that is gonna be the end result. Which kinda matches me, I guess...I am sort of a simple, plain girl;-).

The rest of the weekend was nice and pretty relaxing. Hung out with a lot of friends, cleaned the apartment, paid some bills, did some work on school applications (I owe you an update on that), and then Munchkin and I did some cooking yesterday afternoon. I also had a long conversation with Tinkerbelle, who reminded me that I am way overdue to get out there for a visit (two weekends maybe?). Who thinks she should come for Thanksgiving this year? Or Christmas? Or both!!!

Anyway...I guess I oughta get back to work...hope everyone had a nice weekend:-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soundls like a good weekend.
It was awfully cold here as well. 3°C in the mornings - but got better over the day with about 18 degrees. And at leaste sunshine.

Like the dress very much. Don't know for what I would go, but it looks really nice.

anne said...

Why don't you buy a white dress from a department store instead of a bridal shop? I can send you some links of ones I have seen if you'd like. Less stress, less hassle and a helluva lot cheaper too.

boohoo said...

I think the big wedding is over-rated. I've never wanted a huge fuss. I want snow, a cute white dress and my hubby-to-be :) I'm quite boring and am probably looking forward to the actual marriage more than the wedding day.

You should definitely get Tinkerbelle down over the holidays. I'm sure she'd love to see you.

Accidentally Me said...

Steffi - I have to do some quick math...I think it was a little warmer than that in the morning, but not much.

AMM - Send 'em if you got 'em.

Ys - I am totally ok with a big wedding...I just can't get myself excited about every minor detail. I don't care what the flowers look like, or what color the table linens are. I want the people I love to be there and to have a good time.

Jenica said...

Even worse is the brides who BELIEVE their wedding is the end all, only amazing day in their life. Ugh. I loved my wedding day, but I also believe I have boatloads of days ahead of me that will be equally wonderful.

But then, I was sort of an anti-bride. I didn't try my $89 clearance jcrew wedding dress on until 2 weeks before the wedding, and then never bothered to iron it. No organized dances, no favors or bouquet tosses. And it was a great day in spite of all that we were "lacking."