Monday, April 06, 2009

Working girl

In case no one noticed, I was out of the office on Friday....in Charlotte for the day for work. Not a bad trip, but I was out the door at 5-something o'clock and didn't get home until about 8:00, so it was a very long day. Fortunately, The Boy wasn't feeling terribly social, either, so we stayed in, ate sushi and watched TV.

That means that I never got to post about Munchkin turning 14:-). Her birthday was Friday...her friends had a little surprise party for her on Friday night, which she was tickled about.

I had a busy weekend, although nothing of it was really noteworthy. Munchkin needed spring and summer clothes (seriously...stop growing!!!) so we got up pretty early Saturday, went out for breakfast and then spent the next five hours or so shopping. I am poorer than I was on Friday...(we actually didn't spend that much money, I am just complaining).

Then I had some more errands to do before The Boy and I went out with some friends on Saturday night. Dinner at PF Changs (kinda overrated, but never bad and not too expensive) and then some drinks afterwards and home at a reasonable hour. Munchkin was going to sleep at a friends house, but was feeling a little under the weather (I have the same cold...kind of annoying) so she came home to sleep in her own bed.

Sunday was busy, too...I was out of the house pretty much all day. It was sort of a stressful day, and sort of emotionally draining, so I was pretty tired by the end of it. The Boy was hanging with his Dad and Sister for dinner, so Munchkin and I decided to make pizza and cupcakes...maybe not the most traditional combination, but really darn good! And a little sisterly-role reversal...she did the listening and I did the talking. She is growing up fast...

Speaking of...you know how unemployment is 8%? And how it is like 11% for non-college graduates? You wanna know how long it took Munchkin to find a summer job? Oh...maybe 12 minutes... She called the place she wanted to work (an ice cream store of some repute), asked for the owner, told him that she was a great student and a responsible hard worker and that she wanted to work there this summer. Hired. At the healthy wage of $8.50/hr, plus some small tips as well.

Now, let's see what she has to say about these things we call "taxes"...hee hee

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

first, I got $8 an hour THROUGH COLLEGE at my internship. so, wow.

second, you came all the way to charlotte! so close! hope you had a good time in the warmth! xo

HappyascanB said...

Good for Munchkin! If she's anything like I was, I cried over the amount of wages I never saw b/c of taxes on my first pay check!!! Come to think of it, I still cry over it. . . .

Accidentally Me said...

Kristin - Minimum wage in Mass. is $8, and I am not sure why she gets the extra $.50:-)

Happy - I have done my best to prepare her...but nothing will match that first check when she has worked enough to earn like $200, and only gets $120 or so...

Anonymous said...

holy cow. minimum wage here is around $5.15.