Thursday, August 07, 2008

Can I Have Your Attention, Please!

I had a terrible time getting out of bed this morning. It was just way too comfortable in there, and too dark outside to really want to get up. I think I hit snooze five times maybe? It is kind of overcast and not real warm, and it just seemed like it would have been a really good day to stay tucked into bed all day.

Big announcement at work yesterday. I have known that this was coming for a while (um...three years...lol?) but had to keep the details a secret:-). The basics were pretty well known, but the specifics have been under wraps until yesterday when everything was all announced.

The announcement is that there is a new VP starting here as of September 1. She is a supremely talented, experienced deal-maker with expertise in some very complex transactions in a variety of industries. And, she just happens to be Big Sis:-D.

This is not a surprise at all. She works in the same industry as we do, and it has been pretty widely known that she would jump from her current firm to ours, but the timetable was a bit of a secret. She actually worked here for a short period of time when she got back from London (winter and spring of 2004) on one specific deal. The lesson of that was that she and her father (Papa Bear) were not really meant to work together too closely...lol.

Smoking Hot Roommate and I were in college at the time, and she got a phone call every day from each of them, complaining about the other. Basically, it was a disaster (well, not entirely...the deal turned out really well, they just hated each other a little bit...lol. But I have learned that they argue a lot more than Papa Bear and SHR do...very different relationships. I thought I wrote a post about this, but I can't find it anywhere.)

Anyway, that convinced them both that she would be better off working for someone else for a while, and coming here when she was a little more senior, and when Papa Bear was a little less involved in the day-to-day operations of the firm. That time is now:-)

The surprising part of the news is that she is not coming alone. The place she was working is sort of dissolving...a couple of the partners are retiring, a couple more are going to another firm, two are sort of remaining but basically starting a new, smaller firm with a very small speciality, and one of the partners is coming here to take the same role. They are bringing another VP and an associate as well. So, we are getting four new people out of it.

For those who remember way back to the early days of this blog, Boss Foxy and Big Sis used to work together (that was one of the first posts I wrote!). So this will be something of a reunion for them.

And for me, it means I get to have my Big Sis around every day now:-)

4 comments:

Goose said...

This morning was the same for me, I think I slept in an extra 30 minutes thanks to my snooze button! :)

laurwilk said...

It looks like you get a few more days working from the beach from here on out! Lucky!!

Still just me said...

Sleep? What is that?

boohoo said...

That all worked out great didn't it? :)

Ahh I need a few more days lazing in bed... at least it's the weekend now! :D