Friday, August 29, 2008

Oh, Bama!!!

OK, I know that much of the content was either fluff or horribly frightening, but man can that guy deliver a speech or what!? He could be reading a recipe for Bran muffins and I would sit on the couch enraptured...and his wacko followers would probably cry. [Although, Aly can tell you what happens if you put in too much baking soda...so pay attention to the recipe].

I thought that Obama was fantastic, but I didn't love the speech (does that make sense?). His actual policy talk seems to rotate between scattered (all of a sudden he wants to invade Pakistan, an ally with Nuclear weapons? Say what?) and cookie cutter (capitalism bad, big government programs good, rich bad, unions good). And I still find him sort of naive at times...any idea that Iran is going to respond to someone asking nicely is just ludicrous.

I still like that he doesn't view this as a zero sum game. My big issue with politicians of the Clinton-Bush era (and, I guess, the Biden-McCain era) is that everything is a battle and the other side can't win without you losing. I think having grown up after the culture wars of the 60's has helped Obama to see it is less of a battle. Sometimes the other guys are right, and it is OK to admit that.

So, anyway, I think his speech will provide him the poll bump that he was looking for, even if the rest of the convention failed to deliver for him. Then that bump will be eroded next week when the Republicans get done, and we should be back about where we were last week...with Obama holding maybe a very slight lead. McCain will not be nearly as dynamic next week as Obama was, but I expect that the entire convention will be more effective...Republicans seem, for better or worse, to just be better at this stuff than Democrats are.

Today we will get McCain's VP...and the hot name this morning is Sarah Palin (literally, the hot name...) I don't know a lot about her, but it seems that she is a pretty consistent conservative, and is even younger than Obama is. That would be interesting (and, combined with Obama picking Biden, would make it harder for each of them to hit the other on their most common criticisms: experience vs. outsiderness).

As for me, I am looking forward to the long weekend:-). The whole crew is coming down today...The Boy, Smoking Hot Roommate and the Rocket Scientist, The Brain Surgeon and Big Sis, Papa Bear and some other friends. Tinkerbelle is going home Sunday, and I think I am going to cry when she leaves...but that is just what I do, I cry. That's how I roll, bitches;-)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must admit that Obama's speech was both powerful and persuasive if not bold - McCain has big shoes to fill...

Ally said...

I liked it when he departed a bit from the typical Democrat spill and talked about personal responsibility.

I also liked McCain's commercials congratulating Obama on a job well done, the nomination, etc.

Anonymous said...

Well it looks like he did pick her and man she is Con-Ser-Va-Tive. Wow.

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha. Nice shout out to my muffin disaster! About Palin: so she's a self-proclaimed hockey mom. Hockey moms are pretty much the most annoying group of people I deal with in my job. Gah. And she says it like she's proud.

Lori S-C said...

Interesting pick by McCain...
woman, conservative, with a handicapped child... might appeal to many people on the line...
but not me...

Lori

laurwilk said...

I was on the fence before last night but am back on the Bamawagon now. He delivered a great speech, with emotion and heart.

The debates, however, worry me a bit! I guess we'll see how it goes.

boohoo said...

Sounds like a good weekend to me :) Sorry to hear it's time for Tinkerbelle to leave, though; I hope it won't be too bad for you :(

I've been watching bits of the convention and to be honest it all seemed rather trumped up and phony - but that's politics, I guess ;) I still think Obama would make the better president than McCain. I have been realibaly informed by an American friend who is so into politics that it's scary (;D) that McCain would be the worst outcome ever.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Princess Extraordinaire. I was tres impressed with his speech. I hope he can back up everything he said should he win.

As for McCain's VP choice...I'm not sure how I feel about that.