Friday, September 21, 2007

CCC

This is really post #300, and I am horribly disappointed that I don't have something really interesting to write. I have three un-published posts that I have kept because they are important, but don't want to publish for various reasons. Any one of them would be a good post, but I don't feel like posting any of them yet. One of them is about The Boy and is from last February and is sort of apropos, given the doings around here lately. But the timing on it is not great...I would rather it not seem forced.

So that leaves this is just a regular old recap of what I did yesterday and what I think is going on for the weekend. But maybe that makes sense...most of what I write is a cross between a running diary and a series of random reminiscences. The major theme of this blog is just my day-to-day doings, with a healthy dose of the same for Munchkin. This is at least partially by design.

I think I am lucky in at least one sense. We are not always able to spot the major, significant moments in our lives when they happen. With the exception of having children, the rest of life kind of sneaks up on you...you never know when you will meet the people that matter most, or find the job that will make your life complete, or the house you will live in for 30 years. Only in hindsight are the truly monumental events really clear.

That's not the case for me. In May of 2005, my mother told me she was dying, and shortly after that I made the decision to take in my little sister, and then shortly after that to move her to Boston. There was no mistaking...when I got in the car on that blistering hot August day to drive from Boston to Chicago to pick her up for good, I knew completely and totally that this would be the biggest, most important thing I ever did. In some sense, even bigger than having my own kids.

So, the day-to-day of it is important to me, and I want to document it. For myself. Because I intend to go back and read all of this someday...my moderately communal, quasi-shared diary. Clearly, that is not all I do here...there is some fun blog stuff, and I love the little peeks I get into the lives of my regular reads. But the bulk of what I write is just a daily snapshot of what I am doing and thinking.

I guess in hindsight I really wish I had started blogging a year earlier, because there is so much that I wish I had written down from that first year. There are a lot more ups than there are downs these days, but that wasn't always the case, and there were definitely days when I stopped, asked myself what the fuck I thought I was doing and cried for a while. I wish I had more than just memories of that.

And look at that...here I started to write about what I was doing, and got way, way off track. I do that a lot, too:-) To complete what I started: chicken fingers last night were awesome! And we went to another bar and hung out on the patio for a bit afterwards to enjoy the remaining nice weather. Munchkin is on a field trip today, so she didn't have any homework she needed to get home to do, so we stayed out until about 9:00 or so. Managed to see a TON of friends, who were all out and about and stopped by to visit:-)

We may go to the beach for the weekend. The house is open, and well...there just won't be a whole lot of other chances, so we need to take advantage while we can. If we do, then my streak of weekend posts will end at 1:-) But a girl has to get all the sun she can while she still can;-)

5 comments:

Accidentally Me said...

Ys - Request granted:-) But it was a lovely comment:-)

Aaron said...

THIS IS SPARTA!

(Sorry, couldn't resist with the 300 reference.)

Look to the future, not the past. And enjoy the beach. Sarah's family is closing up the condo in a couple weeks and we were invited to get one more weekend before then. I plan on enjoying a 3rd visit this year!

Anonymous said...

I'm still so impressed that you picked up munchkin that day... she has one amazing big sis. What a memorable moment.

Accidentally Me said...

Aaron - I thought the same thing when I wrote it...lol. And I don't mind looking back sometimes, helps to keep perspective. You guys get a lot more beach weather than we do;-)

Life - Definitely memorable...I will remember pulling off of our street in Chicago forever. A totally surreal moment, knowing how monumentally massive it was. Also, trying to not cry because Munchkin was really on the verge and I didn't want to let her know how scared I was. I should write about this more...lol.

Anonymous said...

Blogs are great for triggering old memories and reminding us about the lessons we needed to remind ourselves to learn. I also wish i blogged more in the past! I kind of ignored my old blog. But now that people are actually reading it, i feel like i have to keep them happy so I write more :)

Just came across your blog and enjoyed reading! Will definately be back :)