Monday, September 24, 2007

Goodbye Summer

The weekend was absolutely awesome...a great way to say goodbye to summer. As I have covered, I have some issues with letting go of summer, so knowing that this would definitively be the last weekend of the summer at the beach house carried some mixed emotions for me.

It is always a little weird to be down there after Labor Day. The weather may be spectacular, but the sun seems a little lower in the sky, the air isn't quite the same, and the whole place seems oddly kind of abandoned. And all that was in effect, but I still had a great weekend. We sat on the beach, rode the jet skis, drank a bunch, ate too much, grilled, built a fire at night...just basically hung out and enjoyed the very summery weather. We had a pretty full crowd, too. The Boy, Munchkin, Smoking Hot Roommate, The Rocket Scientist, Big Sis, The Brain Surgeon and a couple of assorted friends. Really, only Papa Bear was missing.

I have had a request from an IM buddy to rename Munchkin, but I don't think I can do it. The argument is that "Munchkin" is really a name for a little kid, and since she is no longer a little kid, and will soon be a teenager, it is not an appropriate name. Also, she is at least as tall as me, so it is kind of silly for me to call her by a name that implies otherwise. However, I actually call her Munchkin in real life a lot, so I am sort of attached to the name, and would rather keep it. Thoughts? Do you think of her as being really little because I call her Munchkin? I am willing to entertain the idea...

Anyway, that is about it. The Boy is feeling much better, as is Smoking Hot Roommate, so the bug seems to have cleared without effecting either me or the little one. Bullet dodged:-)

11 comments:

Scotty said...

We sat on the beach, rode the jet skis, drank a bunch, ate too much, grilled, built a fire at night
Sounds like an awesome weekend to me!

Keep Munchkin, I like it. Old/young, its a nickname thats endearing :)

Anonymous said...

I think that this is your blog, your sister/adopted daughter, your nickname, so keep it. That is how we know her.....the only named you should ever have to change, and even then it would not be necessary is the boy in the event he becomes the fiancé or the...husband!

ella said...

Seems like everything is back to normal in your world. :)

Glad things with the boy are okay.

Still just me said...

My kids are called Goose, Bud, and LuLu. My Goose is 21 years old, and yes, I still call her that.

Keep Munchkin, it is who she is.

OC said...

I say keep the name Munchkin. It might get confusing to change it mid-stream.

Also, don't jinx yourself on that virus... you never know when those bad boys can come and get ya! (That sounds suspiciously like the theme from Cops?)

Anonymous said...

no way! the name stays. porkchop will ALWAYS be porkchop.

Aaron said...

Keep the name.

My family affectionately calls my little sister "Squirt." At barely 5' and probably not even 100lbs with wet hair, she's still "Squirt" even at 25. Poor girl will never outgrow it. :D

Accidentally Me said...

Aaron - You have a sister who is 25 and weighs 100 pounds? Are you sure we aren't related?

boohoo said...

I say keep it too :D

Anonymous said...

TOTALLY keep the Munchkin name. I LOVE it!! It makes me see her the way you see her.. as your younger but not necessarily small childlike, sis.

I call MY "baby sis" (we're both 5'4" and she is all grown up and married now) Pixie, because of when she was little and looked like a little pixie fairy.

My name for her doesn't imply that she is a child, it just depicts how I still see her.

laurwilk said...

This post makes me long for summer. I really shouldn't read summer blogs because it's a mean trick to play on my brain. I might stay at work extra long tonight (ha, bullshit) just so I don't have to walk in the cold NYC air. Porter wants to go ice skating. I'm going to tell him that I prefer a bonfire on the beach.

I'm glad she's still Munchkin!