Saturday, September 29, 2007

Dance Fever

I may dislike Fall, but it certainly is not because of days like this! It is bright and sunny and just a little bit cool out and is a really, really nice day to go to a soccer game:-) Smoking Hot Roommate came with, so we had a nice morning chat. [If someone could remind me, I have a post about a brief conversation with one of the girls' Mom...Monday maybe?]

Anyway, I am sure you all wanna know what went on at the big school dance last night;-) It was actually really fun. I like that I can go to stuff like this and hang out with the little one as much as I can. They have trouble finding people to chaperon the dances sometimes, mostly because kids don't want their parents to do it...it is embarrassing. So this is another place where not being Mom helps me out here, and Munchkin always asks me because I think she likes having me there (and I think her friends do, too.) Actually, a lot of her friends at school have much older siblings (some quite a bit older than me...second marriages;-)) and I feel like it has become the cool thing to get your older brothers and sisters instead of your parents. I am such a trendsetter;-)

Anyway, I mostly stayed in the corner and chatted with a couple of her old teachers that I know pretty well (Munchkin was the only student invited to their wedding, so we went to that last summer.) They also filled me in on the teacher's version of all the school gossip, which they hear. There was a bit of a boy issue, but as usual, she handled it with remarkable tact and skill. There is a seventh grade boy who is completely smitten with her. She likes him enough, but isn't really interested...and all of that sort of came to a head. Per her usual tactics, she addressed it really early on in the night, and very directly with a simple "I'm sorry, but I don't think I really like you in that way. But I hope you have time to dance with me tonight at least once." Breaking hearts left and right...

Afterwards, we had something of an impromptu party. Two girls were coming to sleep over afterwards, and there were five or six other kids that were going to go out for pizza. One girl's father was coming in to pick some of them up, and another girl's father was also at the dance and was going to bring the other's home. So, I suggested that we pick up the pizzas and take it all back to our place instead. Then I talked to SHR, and she and The Rocket Scientist were sort of on their way back and had run into some other friends. So they came back, too...which led to a really odd collection of 11-12 year olds, us, and some old people.

After everyone left (SHR went to the RS's place for the night) the girls pretty much crashed. I was worried they would be up giggling all night, but they were worn out. And that was about it...SHR got home this morning after her run, the two girls went home and we went to soccer. Not sure what is up for the rest of the day, we will have to see...Munchkin is going out with her friends tonight, so I am off the leash until probably 11:00 or so.

Hope everyone else is enjoying their weekends:-)

3 comments:

boohoo said...

I never went to a chaperoned dance in school. We didn't really do dances, though, not with the school anyway.

I bet you're glad there wasn't giggling all night. I used to hate the giggling. Although I was a guilty giggler myself ;)

Anonymous said...

Munchkin is lucky to have you - I love it that you went to chaperon her dance and that you had a sleepover afterwards..

Aaron said...

I had a lovely weekend. Unfortunately, I don't have time to blog about it. :(