Sunday, June 15, 2008

"Father's" Day

First, two notes on Thursday's post. 1) Munchkin is not a softball fan. She doesn't like that it is viewed as a "girl's" game and that only boys are tough enough to play baseball. And 2) It turns out that her baseball career is not quite over yet. She was picked to be on the league All-Star team, so she still has some playing left to do. She is the only girl who made the team:-) Now they play the All-Stars from other leagues. So, she is very excited by that.

Moving on...

I feel like I should write about my Father today. Father's Day has always, of course, made me think about him. For the first 20 or so years, there was a lot of wishing that I would find him. Then I did, and the next four or five included a lot of wishing that I either hadn't found him, or that he was an entirely different person.

You see, my Father was a bad person. Not just a bad Father and a bad Son. Or a bad Brother. He was all of those, but he was also a junkie, a pusher and possibly much worse (I can't say for sure that he wasn't a murderer.) At least before I met him, I could imagine something better of him. So, if I had never met him, my image of him would have been much better.

Of course, if I had never met him, then I never would have met his wonderful family. And I never would have met the spectacularly adorable Tinkerbelle:-). So, I guess, like most things, I have to take the good with the bad...that's OK, I can really easily forget about him and pay attention to the rest of them.

So what did I do on Father's Day? Well, we skipped the beach this weekend because the forecast was good for Saturday but miserable for Sunday. The day therefore started with waking up next to The Boy, which is a great way to start any day, in my book. We (he, Munchkin and I) went out to his parents house around lunchtime to see his Dad. Twin Sister, her wife and the baby were there (which begs the question...when two lesbians have a baby, who gets to celebrate Father's Day...?)

The Boy was staying for dinner, but Munchkin and I left so that we could meet up with Papa Bear and the girls. It makes me feel pretty special to be included in the Father's Day activities. Obviously, Papa Bear has been as much of a Father to me as anyone, so I appreciate the chance to spend Father's Day with him. And with his real kids;-)

Just like last year, he requested that we just stay at SHR's place and throw some stuff on the grill. Really, he wanted to watch golf;-). I have to be honest...I enjoy playing golf, but watching it?...I just don't get it. But the guest of honor gets what he wants! And that Tiger fellow is pretty darn good...

8 comments:

boohoo said...

my father went away with his rugby friends to play rugby! so we're going up to see him tonight or tomorrow. I've been very, very lucky with my father: he's a great dad and we get on great :)

Anonymous said...

Beleive me, kiddo...we are happy to have you two around!

The old man's Father's Day wouldn't have been complete if he didn't have his two favorite daughters there (sarcasm and jealousy intentional).

Still just me said...

Addiction is a terrible, terrible disease. My father, who died because of consequences of this disease was held hostage as well. I still loved him, and he brought a lot of wonderful things into my life regardless.

It sounds as if your father brought you some good things as well. It is good that you see that and hold on to that.

Rachel H. said...

Yeh...when two lesbians have a baby, who celebrates Mother's Day and who celebrates Father's Day or do they both celebrate Mother's Day? Good question?

Nice to have Papa Bear as a father figure! Hope you have a great week!

Anonymous said...

well my father is not a bad person. but he is a bad father and a bad husband. and for this father's day, he actually stayed on the phone with me for all of a minute and a half.

it is what it is.

Whine Girl said...

Hey Ella :) just caught up a bit on your blogging... glad you're doing well.

It's awesome that munchkin loves baseball...........swhing!!

Trish Ryan said...

What a great post (and I love your question about the two lesbian parents and fathers day :) )

It sounds like things worked out pretty well!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Munchkin on the All-Star team!

Coincidentally, I know more boys who play softball than girls, but that might have something to do with my age and drinking beer.