Tuesday, June 03, 2008

The Morning Commute

I am incredibly lucky to be able to walk to work. My basic commute can be seen on this map here. Now, in the interest of discouraging the stalkers, I don't live at that exact address and I don't work at that exact address, but they are both pretty close. And, I actually have to hook a right down Park St to get Munchkin to school...but you get the idea. MapQuest says it is .57 miles, which seems about right...it takes me like 10 minutes to get her to school and get to work.

Long and short...I never drive to work, and I never have had to deal with the concept of a "morning commute". Well, Munchkin is out of school for the summer now (anyone else jealous?) and she has begun her summer activities. For the next two weeks, she is in camp at a school out in the 'burbs. One of her city friends are in the same camp, so I drive them out there every morning, and the other girl's Mom picks them up (it's in Weston, and if we go back to MapQuest, you can see how I get there).

[Speaking of which...what a ridiculous place Weston is...but that is a whole other subject...median income is $191,000, average home price in the first quarter was $1.44 million...yikes...]

Anyway, this is the first time I have ever had to get up in the morning and drive anywhere. And, to be honest, it is kinda fun! Now, I am sure that all of you who do this every day are groaning at my wide-eyed naivete...and I completely appreciate that doing this every day would be a serious pain in the ass. But I kinda like to get up, get an iced coffee and chat with the little one in the car. Plus, I can listen to all sorts of dorky radio to feed my politics addiction (Imus, anyone?).

You can all feel free to point at me and laugh at the silly girl who likes commuting...but I don't care. I only have to do it for two weeks and it is not that bad in small quantities! Says the girl who hasn't had to refill the gas tank at $4 a gallon yet...

Anyway, I am enjoying my commute;-)

On another subject, we have finished off the Bachelorette Party plans, and I will fill you in tomorrow...this post is too long already. And really dumb!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the only person I know who could enjoy driving to work!

Let me know when you get sick of it, and I will take them. I go in that direction evey day anyway. I promise to drive slow(er than usual).

Still just me said...

I haven't been driving at all! In fact, me and the kids hiked it all the way into town yesterday just to buy a bag a sugar. $4.00 a gallon for gas is super cheap here, and I refuse to pay it when I have two perfectly good legs.

Aaron said...

Protect you from being stalked? You're one to talk, GLB!

Accidentally Me said...

Big Sis - DSS would take her away from me if I let her get in a car with you!

SJM - I love walking. I walk everywhere I can...sometimes in the winter I have to take my car out and drive it just so it doesn't sit idle for too long.

AA - I know the power of the Internet! Just like I know your address:-P

Trish Ryan said...

I get the same way about morning driving. I work at home, so when I'm up, showered, dressed and going somewhere before lunch I feel ridiculously accomplished.

Enjoy :)

brandy said...

When I applied for teaching jobs, the two schools I wanted were completely different. One was a three minute walk (actually three minutes- I timed it) and the other was the 20 minute drive. The 20 minute drive one was the one I actually took and people could NOT understand why I would pick something involving a commute. The truth is- I'm like you. I like the drive. I like the notion that for 40 minutes everyday there's nothing I can do except sit and reflect on my day. I often look back on a day and realize that 20 minutes each way is the only time I will have to myself. So, I definitely get the appeal!

Lpeg said...

I love the drive when there's no traffic (ie - leaving my parents on a monday morning for an hour and a half to where i live) - it's nice, wakes me up, and it's a good way to start the day. I wouldn't want to do that everyday, but I don't mind it every couple weeks or so.

As for Boston traffic... 93 in the morning sucks! I did that for 1/2 a week, and it was terrible. I'd rather take the T - that way I could read or listen to my iPod.