Thursday, September 25, 2008

Oh yea, and don't be a hoochie...

This is gonna be short...meeting in a couple minutes that I need to get to...

Interesting responses from yesterday's post...I was surprised at how many of you went right to "Well, that is why you shouldn't have sex at 15." Which is a totally reasonable response, and is certainly not a rule that I have any interest in arguing. In fact, it makes for pretty good policy...

But honestly, that had never really crossed my mind as I talked to Munchkin about it. I don't know for sure that this girl made a bad decision...she and her boyfriend could very well be mature enough to have this kind of relationship in a healthy manner. I know her a little bit, and she certainly seems like a smart, responsible girl...so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that she erred in doing what she did. At a minimum, it doesn't justify a day long slur-campaign over her virtue...

So, our discussion really had almost nothing to do with that. It was really about how people can be mean, and how they can be insecure and how things like this can really spread quickly and do so much damage to people. And we talked about how she should respond and what she can and can't do and expect others to do. Honestly, this was not a talk about sex (we have had those, sort of) but about social interactions.

However, she was better yesterday. Things were better at school, and she had a soccer game yesterday afternoon that got her mind off of it for a bit, so that was all good. And then, oh look...here it is Thursday again, and time for more chicken fingers:-)

SHR? Big Sis? Twin Sister, The Boy, The Rocket Scientists? Who's in?!?!

On a totally unrelated note, I heard a fantastic political slur this morning, and it is so funny that I won't even tell you who it was said about, since that will get away from the key point. In reality, it is totally flexible and could be applied to virtually any candidate anywhere...

"He already cornered the moron vote, I don't understand why he keeps pandering to it."

6 comments:

boohoo said...

I agree with what you said: I certainly wouldn't encourage girls of fifteen to be having sex but I don't think it's that young an age for a lot of people. Is the age of consent 18 in America? I guess fifteen doesn't sound so young to me cos sixteen is the age here.

I'm glad Munchkin is feeling better about it today :) That's the good thing about being young - you bounce back quickly.

Aaron said...

I'm sorry the gal took the fall for it, but they're 15. Did anyone not see this coming?

In other news, a perfect example for abstinence for Munchkin. Unless she wants to be that sorta "popular."

Me said...

Abstinence vs. reality....let's hope Munchkin will wait until she is with someone who she loves...I know that's not the same at 15 or 16 or 18 as it is with 28 or 33, but that's what you can wish for. Cause it's going to happen.

Better to talk about it than to have the Palin's situation ;)

I'm Not Carrie Bradshaw said...

I think 15 might be a little young as most kids I knew at that age (including myself were not emotionally ready) but that is NO reason to have hurtful gossip spread about you. To be honest this type of stuff still happens at my workplace with a bunch of almost 30-yr-olds so I think the lesson you are teaching Munchkin is much more valuable. :-)

laurwilk said...

After reading about chicken FINGER (not strips, nuggets or tenders) night each and every week, I think I need to find myself a Thursday night tradition. I find that Thursday's drag on and on and would probably be much better if I had something to look forward to!

Also, I like the politician quote. I'm sure that depending upon the person (and their political affiliation) reading the quote, their first instinct on who it is written about would differ.

Anonymous said...

In for chicken fingers! Be there by 6:00