Saturday, February 03, 2007

Growing Up...

Well, Munchkin is officially in love…(little hearts floating and birds chirping around her head). She was incredibly cute about the whole thing because she was clearly so nervous, and she NEVER gets nervous in social situations. When we were walking over, she asked me what she should do if he wanted to kiss her. My response was “here, take this kitchen knife and stab him.” OK, I lied about that…

Really, I asked her what she thought she wanted to do, and she said “I think I really wanna kiss him, too!” Hmm…I think I would have preferred “I don’t even want to hold hands until I am 21,” but that may have been wishful thinking. In the end I told her to just make sure to be assertive about not ever doing anything she wasn’t comfortable with, but that it is normal and natural to have these kinds of feelings about some people. And that was that (ok, there are some longer discussion to come on similar subjects).

The dance itself was really funny, as they always are. Remember how things like this, when you were young, involved all the girls on one side of the room, and all the boys on the other side of the room and then everyone comes together and dances when they play the last song at the end of the night? Well, it is kind of still like that…the only difference being that “Stairway to Heaven” is no longer the night-ending song…lol.

Anyway, Munchkin and her friends were all there at the beginning, and the older kids didn’t start to show up until later. So, Little Dreamboat Boy (I will just call him Dreamboat) and his class were like an hour later than the younger kids. And yes, despite the fact that I was outwardly talking to teachers and other parents, I was definitely spying on her all night:-P

So basically, they would talk uncomfortably to each other for like five minutes, and then return back to their friends, him trying to look cool and disaffected, and her giggling uncontrollably with her friends. That went on for like and hour and a half, and then he finally asked her to dance to a slow song, which led to some classic stiff-armed, back-and-forth, don’t-make-eye-contact 11 year old dancing. It is possible that there was some slight crying in my corner of the room…

Anyway, a little bit later they announced that it was the last song for all the kids in fifth grade or younger, so they took a second pass at the dancing routine. This time they actually talked a bit and looked moderately more comfortable...and this was also apparently when he asked her if she would be his girlfriend. And right before Valentine’s Day…(everyone in unison now) “awwwwww”.

Then, there was sort of that awkward good-bye moment, and she went right ahead and kissed him! Really quick, and then she immediately turned around and ran away…lol…but I was proud of her for being so ballsy. Maybe not proud about her being such a slutty trollop, though…(kidding!!!)

So that was the excitement for the night, and Munchkin was absolutely floating on cloud nine. I took her and a bunch of the girls to Coldstone Creamery for ice cream, and then Munchkin asked if her two best friends could sleep over. I had to call The Boy and break the bad news that our originally planned late-night naked-fest was gonna have to wait. The good news was that one of the girls’ fathers said he would take them all out for breakfast, so I was able to re-schedule that for this morning. And yes, he showed up right on time and put the wood to me just right (did I seriously just write that? Who has better terminology for sex than I do?)

Anyway, I have a date tonight, and Munchkin has a date with Papa Bear…she is still giddy over her newfound love-life, and likely will be for a bit. Which is really cute. Big Sis and Smoking Hot Roommate get home tomorrow, so she can re-tell the whole story to both of them, which I am sure she will be willing to do;-)

And then she gets shipped off to the convent on Monday:-P

6 comments:

Accidentally Me said...

By the way, I love that I have readers in France and England and Australia and...well, really everywhere. So, if you check in and read regularly, send me an email and let me know!!! I really like hearing from people that read:-)

Still just me said...

How sweet! I actually pictured the whole kissing scene in my mind. She will remember that always. Oh wait! I have a 10 year old daughter- OH MY GOD!

Ally said...

I'm impressed that you guys still go for ice cream when it's so cold. Coldstone is the best.

Anyway, it sounds like a very exciting night for Munchkin. How sweet that you kind of got to share it with her.

Accidentally Me said...

SJM - It's a fun age:-) I feel like it gets worse from here...

Ally - Oh, it was gross out...cold and raining. But they all needed to "debrief" and giggle a lot. But I can eat ice cream any day, any time.

megabrooke said...

Adorable. I totally remember those dance days. So awkward. Ha!

Aaron said...

"Munchkin, do as I say, not as I do!" :D