Friday, August 10, 2007

F You, NASDAQ!!!

I realized this morning that I haven't had a regular "Friday" in a while. Lots of Fridays off for various things, and then last Friday I was still kinda doped up. But today is a regular old, work-then-bolt-for-the-beach-as-fast-as-possible Friday. I am having lunch with Boss Foxy, which I also haven't done in a while. Between vacations, weddings and illnesses, we have missed a bunch of weeks in a row.

I got here early and actually already got a lot done (it is almost 9:00 now). Hopefully I can be really productive the rest of the morning so that I can justify sneaking out a little bit early tonight. That kind of depends on whether or not The Boy can get out early, too, and that sort of looks unlikely...the stock market as been a fucking retard all week, so he has been swamped. I just saw a headline at cnn.com that says "Stocks poised for another beating," which does not bode well. Another day like yesterday is gonna lead to a 4:00pm "You better go without me" phone call...

The stock market is definitely on my shit list these days. First of all, this shit is doing a number on my 401K. I have mentioned before that I kind of like the "sport" of saving money, and I am pretty good at it now, but these headlines cost a lot!!! [Total aside, here is my public service announcement to enroll in your 401K and put as much in as possible. This is becoming one of my favorite pet subjects...you can email or IM for the whole shpiel. There, off my soapbox.]

Second, it is really cramping my social life. As I have detailed before, The Boy is a money manager, and huge swings in the stock market...especially swings downward...make him very, very busy. I was all set for another night for just the two of us last night, but he didn't get out of work until almost 10:00. I was kinda bummed about that:-(

And then I feel kind of bad because he gets really apologetic, and I don't want him to feel like he has to be. Certainly I would rather he not have to stay at work until 10:00, but I know him well enough to know that he won't be happy if he isn't working really hard and being challenged professionally, and this just comes with that. I think the ambition is sexy:-)

On this topic, I have chatted a bit this week with another blogger about sacrifices and compromise and such. If I make a list of all of the things that he sacrifices for me (and for Munchkin) and then make a list of the things that I have to put up with...well, I really get the better of that deal. He has to deal with sharing my attention and altering the entire schedule and plan of our relationship. My biggest issue is that he works late sometimes...I really don't have anything to complain about. Well, except his inability to put dishes into the dishwasher;-)

Wow, this really got off topic...LOL. That's OK, it is Friday and I can get away with that! So anyway, work, then headed to the beach. Pretty full house this weekend; Munchkin has been down all week with her brother and sister-in-law to-be (more on that next week), Smoking Hot Roommate and The Rocket Scientist will be there as well, as will Papa Bear and his lady friend and a couple of his friends. Big Sis gets back this evening, and they may come down if they feel like it, too. Not sure yet. The weather is supposed to be pretty good, so it should be fun!

Hope everyone has a really good weekend:-)

2 comments:

anne said...

Have a great weekend!

Going to the beach sounds just about perfect right now.

boohoo said...

Ooh I hope you had a lovely time :) We had some sun this weekend so I got to take the dog for a really nice walk round the woodland park.

I'm the same with my boyfriend: if he works late it gets me down but then I see how bad he feels about it and know he's got no control over it and then I feel guilty. I think it's a love thing ;)