Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Still buzzing

Seems that The Boy didn't really appreciate my story yesterday. He doesn't get mad easily, but apparently he would have rather I didn't tell that story. Mostly, he admitted that he had a horrible and long day at work and was just kind of irritated in general and not specifically at me but that this was just kind of one more thing. Either way, I said I was sorry and he is all better now:-) He knows he can't stay mad at me for long...I am WAYYY too cute.

I think he was a little bit upset because I implied that he sort of solicits these types of discussions and may have encouraged the gift. While he likes Work Friend a lot and finds her charming and entertaining, this is not the kind of thing he normally discusses with women acquaintances, even close ones. She is just sort of that way, and definitely likes that it can make people moderately uncomfortable sometimes... And, I have to reiterate that I have spoken with her about vibrators and sex toys in general at much greater length than The Boy has, and her thinking of us was much more based on that than based on her wanting to buy him that kind of gift. Hope that clears things up...

Still Just Me's comment from yesterday reminded me of a really funny story from a couple months ago. Anything that I would qualify as an "adult toy" is locked away from curious eyes, safely in my closet (I kinda have a lot of them...lol.) However, Munchkin did once ask me "How come you always have Altoids next to your bed? I've never seen you eat one." Umm...ask me that again when you are 21... I told her it was for days when I wake up with a bad taste in my mouth, and she bought it for now. But one day in about four years she is gonna call me on that...ah, well.

Ella W asked what kind of vibrator it is. There is actually nothing really special to it...it is basically just a small, metal egg-shaped thing that vibrates at like 40 different speeds and can be controlled by remote. Then there are a whole bunch of rubber, jelly-like things that fit over the actual ball, all with different textures and ticklers and things (there are a couple that have like a loop that fits around him to keep it in place during sex). Really it is the size that is great...it is strong enough to really feel good, but small enough to not be at all clumsy.

Finally, I need everyone to settle an argument for me (this actually ended with the other person calling me "stupid" which is a whole other issue entirely...you can tell me I am wrong, but there will be no calling me stupid). And in the interest of fairness, I won't tell you who thought what or who the other person is or how the discussion came about. It was a follow-up to the idea of Munchkin walking to school...

The subject is: giving her mace to carry with her as a means of protection.

Discuss...and pull no punches.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's nothing like a good set of batteries to start your day....

Ally said...

I'm not so sure about the Mace idea. I am by no means an expert on this area, so I would imagine a school resource officer or someone with experience with children and this issue could better inform you than us bloggers can; they generally can offer perspectives/potential problems, etc. that we don't necessarily see as lay people.

Normally I do not have an issue with someone carrying Mace, but Munchkin is young and around children all day long. It just seems like the probability of it keeping her safe is much much lower than the probability of the Mace being improperly used and hurting an innocent person. Plus she's walking to school during the busiest times of sidewalk traffic of the day, so a loud yell would likely be as effective as Mace.

Ally said...

p.s. I think I have a pretty good idea of who has the "You're stupid" argument style:)

Anonymous said...

My thought on the mace is that if she's in a situation or place where she needs it, she probably shouldn't be there by herself anyway (at this age).

I'm actually not a huge believer in mace only because, for me, I would never have it handy if I needed it. I'd be rummaging trying to find it.

anne said...

I am not so sure how I feel about mace per se. I get the reason for such, but I don't know if that is the best tool available. I like Ally's idea of talking to the school about other options.

ella said...

What brand is the vibrator???

Anonymous said...

Discuss! I hate when people attack :P I think that if you're still uncomfortable with letting her walk home then don't do it. Wait another year or two until you're okay with it.

Still just me said...

Here, if you have mace at school, you are suspended. You might want to consider that as well as other considerations before you make your decision.

As for the Altoids! I have those beside my bed too, but I have never been asked why.

I was asked one morning what that "odd shaped thingy" was that the dog carried down to the living room from my bedroom, and why was it making "that strange noise?"

Douglas said...

Good to see your readers are more concerned with the brand of vibrator your boyfriend's female co-worker gave him than the issue of Mace and Munchkin.

boohoo said...

I say no the mace. I don't agree with children/young people carrying weapons of any kind. It creates more accidents than it prevents.

I liked how this became a Who's Stupid game hehehe ;)

Aaron said...

You don't think she's kinda young to be carrying mace? I know you think highly of her, but I doubt she's "adult" enough to handle herself in a situation where she would be required to use it.

Or, we could just go with the sterotypical handgun control arguement and say she doesn't need it... you know, because it'd more likely be used against her.

Jackson said...

my only comment b/c my opinion in entirely situational but just remember the sparyer usualy also takes some of the spray when spraying (b/c of wind and what not) and we wouldnt want Munchkin feeling that uncomfort.

I was peppersprayed with the police kinda last october for a work thing (I work as the admin assist for a security dept- it was supervisor trianing, i'm a sup. and all the guys claimed i wouldnt do it. i only did it to prove them wrong. I was the only girl and i took it the best (HA TAKE THAT BOYS!) but i wont EVER volunteer for it again)