Thursday, August 09, 2007

Talking with strangers

I tend to meet people. Pretty much everywhere...bars, restaurants, grocery stores, the train, wherever...I always seem to meet people everywhere. I am kind of chatty, and I think I can be pretty engaging, so I generally strike up random conversations with strangers in random places (like with strippers, but that is a story for another day). I kinda like that about me:-) Munchkin is the same way, so I am guessing that it is genetic.

Anyway, I was out for a walk last night with The Boy after dinner. OK, more specifically, I made him buy me ice cream:-) So, we were out walking, and there was a girl walking a dog. Nothing out of the ordinary there. But this was a girl who was my size or smaller (around 100 lbs, or 45.45 kilos for my Euro readers;-), and a Rottweiler that was about the size of a Volkswagen. Seriously, she had it on a leash, but I don't know who she was kidding, she couldn't stop that thing if she tried (she said it weighed 135 pounds...his name was Benny:-)).

So I stopped to talk to her and ask about the dog. I know, most people aren't that friendly, but I am, so there:-P Turns out she is from upstate Vermont, went to school up there and really wanted to move to a big city after she graduated. The biggest city in Vermont, incidentally, is Burlington, which is way up by Canada, and sports a population of less than 39,000.

Her father, having lived in Vermont his whole life, was terrified at the prospect of sending his only daughter into the great, scary unknown. Not wanting to disappoint him, she wanted him to bless her decision to move. This led to them striking a deal...she could move, as long as she got a dog that could keep her safe. I thought that was a really cute story:-) Having had the dog drool on me, I can't imagine it would offer any real protection, but it is really scary looking, and could likely do some serious damage if it thought she was in danger...

Anyway, that is my story, though you might like it:-)

7 comments:

Still just me said...

Just the company of a dog can make you feel safer, even if it isn't a really big dog.

My dog made me feel real secure yesterday. I am going to post about it later.

Aaron said...

The only daunting thing about a Rotty is the poop! Who wants to clean up after a dog that big?!

anne said...

Thats a cute story.

People stop and talk to me all the time - I never encourage it, but it seems to happen everywhere I go. I am always asked for directions, people comment on my clothing, my dog, what ever strikes their fancy.

ella said...

I suppose if she really was in a pinch she could ride the dog to safety.

Airam said...

That's so cute! OH dad's and their protective natures!

Scotty said...

Awesome story, I enjoyed it...

boohoo said...

I'm jealous: I'm useless at talking to people I don't know :/