Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Nothing is ever easy

Seriously, nothing is ever easy with me. And nothing good ever comes out of hospitals (OK, except for the time I was almost dead when I got there and came out fine.) I've had some minor complications that turned this into a bigger deal than originally thought.

First thing, they took a scan of my chest to make sure they saw exactly what they were dealing with. This led to two immediate issues. 1) The cyst in question was much larger than previously thought...part of it was kind of between my ribs, so on the surface it didn't seem as big as it was. 2) It wasn't alone. There was another, similar but smaller cyst in there, too.

The upshot: general anaesthesia and a procedure that required more cutting, more stitching, and more recovery time. Groan. But whatever, not much else I could do at this point. Because of the change, they pushed back the actual surgery until later in the day, so I had to sit around the hospital all day until it was time for prep and then the actual surgery.

For me, the whole procedure was "OK, breath in" and then waking up in a fog, with a lot of pain in my left side and a whole mess of bandages on me. Randomly, I knew the nurse who came in to change my bandages, which made me feel oddly comfortable...

I guess everything went according to plan...or so the doctor says. I don't think the actual procedure lasted real long once they started, but the incision for the first cyst had to be pretty big, and the smaller one has a couple stitches, too. The anaesthesia took a lot out of me, too. I woke up, but never really woke up...(the vicodin may have something to do with that). I stayed overnight in the hospital rather than check out and go home at like 11:00pm. The Boy was super awesome to me:-) He came over after work with flowers and stayed with me until I fell asleep (for those counting chivalry points, he came planning to spend the whole night, but I sent him home...). Smoking Hot Roommate came over to get me in the morning, check me out and take me home.

And then I slept all day. Well, I woke up to take more painkillers and eat a little bit. But I didn't eat enough, so all the sleep, drugs and lack of food made me not feel real good...but now I am eating spaghetti and I feel better:-) The Boy should be here in a couple minutes, and then I will feel even more better:-)

I am still tired, and in a lot of pain (well, when the drugs start to wear off), and then out of it for a bit when the Vicodin kicks in...so no work for me again, tomorrow. More sleep, and hopefully I can stop taking the pills.

But I am doing fine, and should be back to my old self soon...hopefully I can go to work on Friday, and then the beach, bandages and all, this weekend. Munchkin gets back Saturday...I miss her:-) And I kinda lied about staying in the hospital...she worries:-)

That's about all...my Google Reader has like 50 posts for me to read, so I will be catching up on all of your doings tomorrow, I hope. And I am gonna start reading the newest Harry Potter, too...hopefully [I have heard nothing, but I have a real bad feeling Ron isn't gonna make it...I hope I am wrong:-( ].

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad things went well and that you're on the way to recovery.

Aaron said...

The Boy is alright in my book. She-who-shall-not-be-named (the ex) had a surgury while we were dating and I stayed 4 days with her in the hospital while she recovered. I can think of a million things I'd rather have done with that time, but no where I'd rather have been. Thankfully, my job allowed me to work from within a stuffy hospital room without any windows and I managed while she slept most of the time.

Here's to you, dude. I'm sure she'll pay down the debt when she gets to feeling better. ;^)

Never That Easy said...

While I can't help but like the name of your post ;), I'm sorry things were not as simple as they were supposed to be. Hopefully, you'll be feeling better real soon. And to still have the last HP in front of you...? In that, you're a lucky girl.

Feel BETTER!!

Airam said...

I'm glad you're ok! Have fun at the beach!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad everything went well! It sounds like you have a great group of people around to make you feel comfortable- that's always such a nice feeling. As for Harry Potter, the last book was one of my favourites in the series. Can't wait to hear what you think of it!

Scotty said...

Hope you feel better...

boohoo said...

Aww no I'm sorry everything didn't go according to plan. I had cysts as well (not in my breasts, though) and had to have some pretty major surgery. Cysts are not fun things at all. I hope you recover quickly :)

I think you'll enjoy the new HP book. I was worried after the sixth one wasn't good at all but so far this last one is going great for me :D

Povosgirl said...

AM I hope you have a quick recovery! Take care hun!

anne said...

Ohhh anasthesia and pain pills can really do a number. But I am glad you are on the road to recovery and it sounds like you are in good hands.

Whine Girl said...

Get well soon AM!

can't wait to see the next few vicodin induced posts.. haha

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are doing good, AM. And you gotta love The Boy. A very gentle *hug* for you.

Ally said...

Yeah!! Now that I can sort of read I know you're doing OK. I am glad you have some good nurses around. Are they biopsying the cysts or is there no worry there?

agoodlistener said...

Haven't been here for a while, but I am glad you are recovering. Sterile bandages and sandy beach don't go together for me, but if it works for you, you must be doing well.

Accidentally Me said...

Thanks everyone:-) And I alerted The Boy to your kind words, and he seemed sort of taken aback, as if to say "You mean people would have NOT gone to the hospital?"

That's just how he is, and that's one of the many reasons I love him:-)