Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Harry Potter (no spoilers, promise!)

With so much time to lay around all weekend, I managed to accomplish one important goal...tearing through Harry Potter #7. Despite the fact that the title is very bad grammar ("Deathly" is not a word, people...), the book is excellent. It is very much a continuation of book #6, more so than most of the other books had been previously.

What really amazes me is how well thought-out all of the details are, and how well the plot unfolds over six books. For example...every wizard has a really weird name: Draco, Severus, Albus, etc. Except, of course, for the Weasleys, who are named Charlie, George, Bill, Ginny, Fred and Ron. It is never actually written, but since Mr. Weasley is completely fascinated by Muggle things, it makes sense that all of their kids would have muggle names. And there are a millions little details like that. One of the very first appearances of any wizard in the first book is when Dumbledore arrives and clicks off all of the street lights with a pen. Without giving too much away, that pen comes back later on...

The books are also a lot more historically political than they are given credit for. TONS of Nazi parallels, right down to the "impure" blood of the crazy leader trying to purify the races. And plenty about how people can get swept up in a quest for power, and a fear of people and things not like them. As the books go along, you realize that the good and evil lines are blurrier than you might expect.

Anyway, I loved the book, and I think it is the best of the seven. In case you are wondering, I would order them 7, 3, 6, 1, 4, 2, 5. Really, the fifth one is too long and has too much filler, but other than that, virtually every page of every book is excellent. I am, however, not really sad that it is over. I feared that I might be really disappointed when it was done, but I didn't really feel that way.

The ending was satisfying, if a little bit confusing. The "chronology of the wand" thing gets a little bit hard to follow, and I am not entirely sure I get it, but whatever...I figured enough of it out...lol. I fought my hardest to not read the chapter called "19 Years Later", which was OK, since there isn't much in there.

So this was kind of rambly, but it is hard to not give anything away! Thoughts? Comments? Email or IM if they are plot-sensitive:-)

5 comments:

Airam said...

This would have been a great review for my book blog!!!

graceamazes said...

Actually "deathly" is a word! Means "related to death" (e.g. he looked deathly ill). I looked twice at "hallows" as a noun, but it means "relics" (old meaning apparently resurrected by JKR).

I loved all 7 books, and devoured this one in one big gulp in less than 24 hours right after it landed on my porch! Now I need to go back and re-read for details.

Interesting how different things stand out for different people! I never thought of the characteristics of the names that you mention, e.g. "magic" vs. "muggle". Though some of those with one magic parent had a Muggle name (Harry, Tom) and some a "magic" one (not saying who since it might spoil an earlier book). [And don't forgot the other Weasley -- Percy -- who reappeared in #7].

Book 5 was, I agree, overlong, but provided some critical background for the subsequent books as well as introducing new characters who were in the Order and who will become more important in the future. It was also the biggest challenge to bring to the screen, since so much had to be left out.

And yes... the little details echoing from earlier books were so satisfying. I am a little sad that it's all over, but glad that I got to experience it "new" -- one book, one part of the story at a time -- something that won't be possible for future readers, as pointed out here:

http://tinyurl.com/3bbm6h

TTYL, AM...

Accidentally Me said...

Airam - Feel free to copy and paste at will!!!

Grace - You are right...it is totally a word...but it is definitely an adverb! And Hallows is a noun, so...ah, who cares! I haven't seen the movie yet...possibly tonight!

ella said...

I found it interesting that in all the interviews I've seen of JK Rowling, the fact that the book heavily parallels Nazi Germany is never brought up. And I too, was very confused by that want thing.

Ending was ok. I think she leaves the door open for a spin off series.

boohoo said...

I really enjoyed the book, as well, and I was so worried I wouldn't considering how much I didn't like Book 6. I was pretty impressed with myself because I'd worked out the big revelation at the end, you know where he takes the thoughts of a certain character and then learns the truth - I'd already worked that out, which was probably why I wasn't keen on book 6: too obviously lies.

I'm re-reading book6 now, though, just cos I've got the Harry Potter bug now ;) I'll have to go and see the film again -- you should go see it; it's very good, and quite scary as well.