Thursday, November 22, 2007

Giving Thanks

I am thankful for so much, and not just today. But today is a good day to say it without seeming too cheesy.

Mostly, I am thankful for the people I love. For a beautiful, brilliant little sister who makes me smile everyday. The truth is that she has made my life much more fulfilling, not harder. And for another one that is still the best Christmas present I have ever gotten.

For a best friend who is a friend, a role model, a supporter and so very much more. For a "father" and a "sister" who give all the love and support of even the best families. For the immense love and support that they all provide to Munchkin...so much of her is a reflection of all of the time, the love and the support that they give her. They write checks on her behalf, but much more than that, they spend time with her and shower her with the attention and love and support and guidance that she has lost.

For a boyfriend who makes me feel beautiful and special and still makes me tingle when I hear his voice. For his being selfless and patient and for being more than I could ever expect him to be. And for being the luckiest girl in the world because I make him happy. For the chance to make him happy for many more years.

For my family. As much as I beat them up here sometimes, they are still my family, and there are some of them that owe enormous debts of gratitude to. I wish I met my father's family sooner, but I am very grateful to know them now.

For a great job that keeps me interested and challenged and teaches me something new ever single day (oh, and dramatically overpays me:-)). For my work-mom, who advises and comforts both professionally and personally. For my wonderful colleagues who tolerate my inexperience and teach and coach and guide. And occasionally give me great clothes.

For my friends, both near and far. For our tragedies. For our memories. For the love. For the laughter. For the history and for the future. For your sacrifices and mine and the wonderful, wonderful things that have come from knowing you all.

I have kind of an odd life, I am aware of that. It hasn't always been easy. But I think it is looking pretty good from here on out. And for that, and for all of the people that make that true, I am extraordinarily thankful.

5 comments:

Ally said...

Happy Thanksgiving AM! We do have so much to be thankful for, and Thanksgiving is a good time to reflect on that. Have a super long weekend!

OC said...

Happy Thanksgiving! You are lucky to have all of those wonderful things... so be thankful :)

boohoo said...

Happy Thanksgiving. Some of the American bands were saying it was Thanksgiving when I saw them in Newport Thursday night; being a Brit, I obviously had forgotten. I hope you had a great day :D

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful giving thanks post and I am so happy you have much to be grateful for - it seems we all are blessed with a bounty of thanks and gratitude - hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful!

Aaron said...

And we're thankful for you, too, AM. Even if I think you exaggerate some of your stories. :P