Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Personal chefs

I'm late in posting today, stupid meetings all morning...blech.

The sick ward is finally getting a little better. The Boy is back at work today and feeling at least moderately better. The good thing about having him home yesterday was that he was able to go over and get Munchkin at school at lunchtime and save me the trip. Then they had some quality time on the couches watching Days of Our Lives, Tyra, Oprah and whatever other junk was on TV in the afternoon.

They are actually really cute together...totally buddies. To be honest, Munchkin is kind of buddies with everyone, but she and The Boy get along really well, and make each other laugh a lot. Obviously that is pretty important to me...she and I are a package deal. If you want me, you get her, too, and I would never be with someone she didn't like. She gets veto power (which she exercised once, much to the dismay of the guy who had a date cancelled with "Sorry, my little sister says I can't go.")

They made dinner and baked a cake yesterday, which was very nice of them. Kind of a baked ziti with zucchini, sausage, tomatoes and cheese. Not sure where the recipe came from (I think he probably called his mother, but he is trying to pass it off as his own) but it was pretty fucking good! I have some leftovers for lunch...:-)

Since this is kind of a short post, I am going to cheat and pose the following question for everyone to discuss. It's not really a question, so much as a subject...and the subject is:

Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, Ikea, or other...please discuss.

9 comments:

ella said...

After living in an apartment for 3 years that looked like page 51 of the Pottery bBrn catalog, I am so over it. I hope to never sit on an over stuffed couch again.

As for Ikea, it's almost impossible to walk through their market place area without ending up with at least $100 worth of junk. And why is it that they are always located in random, far away places?

Crate and Barrel has some pretty decent furniture and good home supplies. A friend of mine works there and I scored a simple human trash can for 30% off. I *heart* it.

Aaron said...

Munchkin is more powerful than congress!

Ally said...

I'm not a big shopper, so I'm not an expert but based on what I have seen here's my two cents:

IKEA: Looks sort of cool in a modern way, but when it comes down to it, it's poorly made (the frames I purchased broke within days and the scented candles give off no scent) and college-grade furniture.

Crate & Barrel: Just not quite as cute as Pottery Barn, but it does have some fun glasses, etc.

Pottery Barn: Very cute....but a rip off; you can replicate the look much cheaper and with just as well made products if you've got the inclination. Another downfall of buying Pottery Barn is that you see some of their stuff everywhere.

Accidentally Me said...

Ella - I am not sure I am a big fan of their furniture. I like all of their "stuff" more than the furniture.

Aaron - Absolutely...she answers to no one!

Anonymous said...

I'm of the opinion that no one should be able to walk into your home and pick out where your furniture came from because they browsed through a catalog. I like some of their "stuff" as well, but find that really everything there is way overpriced - especially for the quality which is nothing to write home about.

Ikea stuff is good for fill-in while you're looking for something that you really like that's more permanent. Or, if you're in college.

I just like more of a mix of furniture and accessories - I'm not big into themes.

Anonymous said...

I prefer Crate & Barrel. Plus I've always found great wedding presents there, without spending so much. Ikea is way too modern for me, and Pottery Barn is nice but expensive.

I am of the belief that your home should be a collection of furniture, decor, etc. over time, rather than buying a whole "room" at once. How can so many brand new things feel like home to you?

anne said...

i'm with claire. the catalogs are fun to look at but do i want to live in that? an item here or there from any three is fine.

Still just me said...

I for one have never been in any of the three mentioned places. I guess that comes from always living in small towns.

OC said...

I went to IKEA for the first time last weekend and didn't buy anything (well some decorative things and some plants). I wasn't impressed. I also went to Pier One and didn't find anything.
I'll have to try Crate & Barrel and/or Pottery Barn. First I need living room furniture, though.