Sunday, November 04, 2007

Missing by 'Belle

We got back safely a little while ago, and I am going to start my weekend recap tonight rather than wait until tomorrow. Munchkin is totally beat (she slept on the plane, and in the car, and then went right to bed:-)). The Boy went home a little while ago, which means that once I get done with this and Smoking Hot Roommate finishes the work she is doing, we can chill for a bit...as she mentioned the other day, we have done far too little of that lately!

As usual, the trip back to Chicago is gonna take a lot of time to recap...most all of it good, I promise:-)

Let's start with the best part, spending Saturday with Tinkerbelle:-) For those who have joined me kind of recently and never read the story, Tinkerbelle is my "other" half-sister. I think she is just the cutest thing ever, and I love every second I get to spend with her! I wish she was closer, and I wish I had known her from the beginning. I feel like I have an enormous amount of catching up to do with her, and I worry that I will never really be able to do that.

That, however, is a problem for another day. For now, I just want to tell you how much fun we had on Saturday! We had breakfast, and she showed me some stuff she has done for school, and then we went shopping and bought some earrings (she got her ears pierced a month ago). Her two best friends came over and I got to meet them, and then we went to a party at our uncle's house so I could see the rest of my father's family. I may not get to see her as much as I would like, but the rest of our family sees her and her mom all the time...and that makes me feel good.

Now I miss her again:-( But that is OK...I will see her again and that makes me feel good, too:-)

I had a really good visit with that family, too. It is still kind of weird to try and assimilate into the family after not ever having met them for 22 years, but they are super sweet and could not possibly be more welcoming. I guess there is no sense in pining over lost time.

Munchkin got to see a lot of her old friends, too, which was good. There are two girls that she still stays in touch with (and who will hopefully come out to visit us soon) but this was her first chance to see a lot of other kids. One of those girls had a birthday party, so she got to catch up. She said it was "kinda weird" but didn't elaborate...she also said a really cute boy she used to have a crush on said "I wish you still lived here so you could be my girlfriend." Awfully presumptuous of the kid, but she was flattered.

And I got to see a lot of friends, too. Unfortunately, I feel a little less in touch with most of my friends every time I go back, but it is still nice to see them. When you don't see people all the time, you lose track of the people that you don't make a point of talking to regularly. So every time I feel like I know them all a little bit less...cest la vie (this is kind of a depressingly introspective post...sorry about that).

On the friends front, my main goal of this trip was meeting BFFb's new girlfriend. That, however, will need to wait until tomorrow because it is a longer story than I would have guessed. And it is late, this post is long, and I am tired:-) So, I will leave that until Tuesday morning...and in the meantime I hope everyone had a nice weekend and isn't too ticked to be back at work!

7 comments:

boohoo said...

I'm glad you had fun catching up with everyone :) I think going back to where you once were always makes you feel a little introspective.

Anonymous said...

Tuesday morning????

anne said...

welcome back.

i think that is always what happens as you move on and do your best to make boston home, which really is the ulimate goal, especially to make munchkin feel that way, to feel that she has a place to call home.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back - it's hard to keep in touch when you're separated from your friends and even harder when you realize how far you've drifted...it's nice that you have so many friends both places though...

Scotty said...

feel a little less in touch with most of my friends every time I go back

Yeah... I feel the same way when I go home.

ella said...

Love it when you leave us with cliff hangers.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!
Going home (Portland, OR) always makes me feel introspective too. It's been so long that I really have very few (or maybe even just 2) friends there that I keep in touch with once in awhile still. It's even getting like that with some of my family there, but not as much.