Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Shopping

I love shopping...love it. More than actually buying stuff, I love wandering around amongst all the shiny new things and thinking of all the fantastic possibilities. This likely comes as no surprise...I am, after all, a girl, and girls pretty much love shopping.

But here is the thing: I am talking only about a specific kind of shopping, and it makes me sort of weird.

I don't love shoe shopping. Ella W and Brandy and Brookem and e.b. and some others have all talked about their love of shoes. Me? Well, I just don't get that excited over shoes, and there is nothing that could entice me to spend the exorbitant sums that Minolo and Jimmy Choo charge. I buy my shoes at super fancy places like DSW and Marshalls and from Delia's, Alloy and Vicky's Secret. I just don't care that much about shoes.

And I don't love clothes shopping. This is not to say that I don't like it, just that I generally only go if there is something I need. I rarely find it interesting to just wander around for the sake of looking if I don't at least sort of have a purpose. Maybe the one exception would be coats, which I do truly love and which I could try on all day while imagining myself skipping ever-so adorably down a cobblestone Parisian street...I digress.

I don't really even love jewelry shopping. Sure, I like sparkly things and shiny things very much, but I find the whole thing kind of stuffy and intimidating. And the special lighting intended to make everything look so extra-perfect is almost a little too misleading for me.

So what kind of shopping is it that I love most? Why, that would be grocery shopping. That's right, I could wander around the supermarket for hours. This, I know, is totally bizarre, as most people loathe this more than going to the Dentist or cleaning the toilet. I however, love it. I get all kinds of crazy inspiration and ridiculous delusions of my own culinary skill.

That's right, I find the grocery store to be inspiring. I get all kinds of ambition about wonderfully delicious things that I will cook. I imagine fancy dinner parties where all of the beautiful guests rave about my wizardry in the kitchen (no, I have never, ever actually gone through with that...). I dream up lovely casual gatherings full of brilliantly perfect comfort foods...

I love the produce department with its fresh fruits and vegetables, just begging to be whipped up into light, fresh, healthy meals that evoke Italian countrysides and post-polo match snacks. I love the meat department, provider of the exquisite cuts of meat and fish that can stand as the centerpiece of an extravagant meal. And the bakery, with its fresh breads and wonderful yummy confections...I love them all.

So yes, this makes me kinda odd, and I am OK with that. Munchkin is willing to basically go anywhere with me and will find a way to have fun, but I think even she is starting to find my love of the supermarket a little bit disturbing.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. Sometimes I'm just not inspired enough to do shoe shopping. I certainly have some awesome finds, but I've never owned anything more expensive than Nine West and such.

Maybe when I get that new job! ;)

But the coats? I'm so glad you said that because I have maybe 10 coats in my closet right now. I just bought a new this season.

And I live in Atlanta. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

I love love love grocery shopping. It relaxes me. And I love it even more when I'm entertaining. It's the first step in everything coming together. Never mind that it usually doesn't work out the way I see it in my mind.

I'm with you on shoes. No matter how much money I had, I can't imagine spending close to $1,000 on a pair of shoes. Just not that interested!

Anonymous said...

I only like grocery shopping at Trader Joe's. Otherwise...eh. I could take it or leave it.

Ally said...

When I travel I always check out the grocery stores. It's always interesting to see what it has that we don't have in the U.S. and what they don't have that we do.

And now that there's a Whole Foods twice as big/nice as any Whole Foods I've ever visited just a mile from my house.....

megabrooke said...

i do love me some good shoe shopping (i go during my lunch break!)... but im not really huge into the brand names- more into the style. i like dsw and marshalls too.. there's some good deals there!

and i LOVE grocery shopping! seriously, when i have the time to do it and it's not something i "have" to do, i really enjoy it.

ella said...

There are actually MANOLO Blahniks. And they are kind of crappy shoes - I had one pair that I had to return after the heel fell off twice. My fave shoes are Miu Miu's.

I love gourmet grocery stores. I could spend hours in them.

Aaron said...

I believe we're spoiled (especially in Atlanta) to have so many and so HUGE grocery stores. So much so, than just about when I'm anywhere else, I believe the selection sucks. I can't ever find the brands, food, etc that I want.

Grocery shopping in a big NE city? Forget it.

k.d. said...

i only do shoe & clothes shopping when i'm abroad...

...at home i just do online-shopping!

anne said...

having just come from the mall - i do have a love of shopping. and the thing with shoes is that they always fit and can never make you feel fat when looking in the mirror - i think that is the draw for a lot of women.

however - i'm with you on the grocery store love. i too spend way too much time just looking at all the fun items they carry.

Never That Easy said...

I am definitely with you as far as shoes go: I so do not get it. And I'm not the right size or shape to enjoy clothes shopping. But I'm not the grocery shopper in our house, although you make it sound like a lot of fun.

For me, it's the bookstore that I could spend 16 hours in, no problem. Just wandering, thinking about all the books I could read, all the things I could learn, all of the possibilities! Fabulous.

Still just me said...

I too love the grocery store. I go up and down every aisle, and have been known to spend hours in there. It looks like you are not alone.

boohoo said...

I used to hate shopping of all kinds but these last few years I've turned into an actual girl and adore it!

I always loved doing the big food shop at the end of each week, when it was just me and Daddy here to do the shop. I haven't been shopping for food in ages now, though. I am looking forward to it all again tho when I move out :) So don't feel too much like an oddball ;)

OC said...

I'm late in catching up on your blog (sorry!) but I wanted to chime in that I, too, love grocery shopping. My mom and I used to spend hours at the grocery store, talking about the different things we could make and buy. I know, weird, but that's why I like it so much now, I think.

Douglas said...

"post-polo match snacks"....seriously...polo matches....with the Kennedy's I presume? ?

Anonymous said...

You know, I do love my grocery shopping. I once dated a guy and our favourite Sunday afternoon activity was hitting up the grocery store. Okay, that was ONE of our favourite Sunday afternoon activities, but still. There's something really relaxing about shopping when you aren't in a rush. And although I do like my shoe shopping, the idea of shopping for jewelery makes me puke a little in my mouth. I dislike it that much.