Friday, November 30, 2007

Raises, Orgasms and Chicken Fingers, all in one day

I have a little more time today, so I can tell you all about my new favorite subject... my new, larger salary! It is review time around here, which means we all had to write our 360 reviews over the last couple of weeks (yes, I wrote 25 reviews, every one of which was for someone senior to me.) Then yesterday at 9:30 I had to appear before the partners to discuss my review.

I think I wrote this last year, but it is kind of intimidating. The conference room they do these in is intended to be kind of intimidating...big heavy granite table, dark wood, it really says "power". And the partners all sit on one side of the table, and the victim...er employee...sits across from them. They have a binder for each person with all of their reviews, along with a summary page, and that is the first time that you get to see your reviews.

It could be worse...I am fortunate that Papa Bear and Boss Foxy make up 40% of the partners (really more...he counts extra:-P) and they would clearly let me know if anything bad was gonna happen. Plus, they just basically like me:-)

So anyway, the reviews were all basically good (even the guy that hates me was nicer this year, although I could still tell which one was his:-P). We have a very, very thorough process with all kinds of back and forth, and I will spare you the ugly details. But basically they have some suggestions on specific things to do and learn. But this year, they also asked that I write something about "interviewing techniques" for our giant library, which is good. It is nice to be thought of as good at something:-) (Well, other than not being yelled at by the boss:-P).

And then they gave me a big fat raise that they said "reflects my growing ability to add value to a variety of initiatives". Shwing! I got a big raise last year, so I wasn't quite expecting another one, but I am certainly not going to give it back:-P This will go a long way towards helping me to flesh out my still-small "house fund". Yay for me!

To celebrate: chicken fingers:-) It was kind of weird, we sort of got kicked out. I guess there was a big football game last night that was only on TV in some places...? So the place (which is kind of a sports bar) was expecting a big crowd, and they were going 21+ almost all night. We go there enough and know the people well enough that they let Munchkin in, but told us that we would have to leave before it got too late. That was fine...we weren't gonna stay long past 7:30 anyway, so it wasn't really an issue.

Smoking Hot Roommate, The Boy, The Rocket Scientist and Big Sis all joined us, which made it all the better:-) The Boy came back and stayed over, which was good...I hadn't gotten any since last Friday, damnit, and I have needs! Between his being away a bit, me being sick and some work things, I had gone WAY too long without getting some quality naked time. He sufficiently filled his boyfriendly duties, though, so I am better:-P (Seriously, his sister reads this...lol...who do you suppose I embarrass most?)

Should be a sort of busy weekend. Party tonight with SHR and some friends, and then the first of like a trillion Christmas parties tomorrow night. Munchkin probably has friend things to do, but she could come to either party if she wants:-) Mix in some Christmas shopping tomorrow and maybe Sunday, and my regular Sunday afternoon date and it is a pretty full slate. Anyone else have anything? This time of year gets really busy...

6 comments:

Aaron said...

I'M CAUGHT UP!

And congratulations on the raise. I'm sure you.. *cough* earned it. :P

Accidentally Me said...

I did notice you were like three days late in commenting for a while there...lol.

And what exactly is that implying? I am not quite sure I like you tone!!!

Whine Girl said...

I know what Aaron's implying... how do you think he got his 8% raise last year? ;-)

ella said...

One word response to Aaron's implication...nepotism. But you know we love you anyways (even though we are all secretly jealous).

I have 2 parties, one dinner and one basketball game (UCLA v. Texas) this weekend. Top it all off I am volunteering Saturday morning. It's going to be a super busy weekend. AND I'm stressed about my party because my friend cannot cater all of it. BOO!

Anonymous said...

woohoo! congrats.

OC said...

Ahh yes, the Dallas/Green Bay game. Only available if you have the NFL network in most areas, or according to USA Today, only about 40% of the cable-buying population nationwide.

Glad you had fun though :-)