Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Confessions

I am going to make some confessions today. Not the good stuff (:-P), just some things that I feel like I need to apologize for. Culture and society tells us that we need to feel a certain way about certain things, and I have to cop to disagreeing with many of them. So, here is my penance.

1) I hate Grey's Anatomy. I know...I am a girl and I am supposed to love it, but I just can't. They are all annoying and whiny and not as pretty as everyone gives them credit for. Ellen Pompei gets a little bit of a pass for being in Old School, but not much. I kind of like Sandra Oh, but the rest of them are just awful. Katherine Heigl? Not pretty and really annoying. Patrick Dempsey was in Loverboy. The giant girl who looks like a linebacker? Ew. The super-pussy one that Isaiah Washington called a faggot? Well...seriously...what else was he supposed to call him? He sucks. OK, enough of that.

2) While we are on the subject...Sex and the City? Please...most overrated show ever. Every character on that show (save for maybe Miranda) was completely and utterly un-likable. And why does everyone love Sarah Jessica Parker? She is annoying and her "sense of style" usually results in her looking like a clown. And why has no one ever noticed that they all live totally non-believable lives? They are all completely loaded (hello, those apartments are all worth a mint!), but one is a writer and two of them seem to work about 20 hours a week. I do think Kristin Davis is gorgeous, though:-)

3) Shoe shopping. I just don't get orgasmic over it like a lot of girls do. Maybe because there is no pair of heels ever that can make me tall. Well, no pair that anyone other than a stripper would wear.

4) I strongly believe in aggressive girls. I have had a couple of conversations over the past month with girls who don't feel comfortable approaching guys or asking them out. Bollocks...you can be on the Supreme Court but you can't ask a boy out? At least one of them capitulated to my nagging and made a proactive move last night, but I won't rat her out...she can tell you when she pleases:-)

5) I don't get excited by babies. I have been over this before.

6) No one should get as excited about a baseball team as people around here do (This one is gonna get me into some trouble!)

7) Jewish food is totally underrated. I could eat bagels and lox at almost every meal for the rest of my life. Potato latkes, sticky buns, chocolate covered matzo (OK, maybe that is not Moses-approved:-)). I have some Polish and German ancestry in there somewhere...maybe that is where this comes from. Also...I heard a story about why Jewish people in America are traditionally linked with Chinese food...but I don't know if it is true. Does someone else have an explanation? I want to see if it matches up! OK...off topic...

8) French food is generally overrated. Mostly it is the insistence on grossly small portions. I don't eat that much...if I leave a restaurant still hungry, there is something wrong!

9) I wear very little makeup, and I don't spend much effort on my hair, either. Totally not worth the time every morning. I generally shower, dress and get ready for work in less than half an hour.

10) I think we give old people too much. There, I said it. Social Security, Medicare's drug benefit, discounts on everything, property tax waivers...all shameless giveaways to the elderly on the backs of the young. That is what they get because they all vote and we don't. And if anyone tells you "Well, they all paid their share when they were younger," they are lying. For a variety of reasons that is simply not true. But that, my friends, is a longer story;-) And for today, I am done confessing.

12 comments:

Povosgirl said...

I agree with most of your thinkings. But you have to love baseball to understand. I was on the internet and the phone for hours to get tickets for opening day. Didn't get them, but saw alot of scalping from the people who were able to get them. And they will get what they are asking for the tickets! I did however get tickets for the gameo n my birthday weekend!!

Ally said...

Nice list....not that I agree with it all or anything, but you already knew that.

As for aggressive girls (or boys), this notion that just because we can do something we should--or that it'll get us what we want/need is erroneous. Different strokes for different folks, but I want a man who is going to pursue me and who is interested enough to ask me out. My experience has been that this type of relationships (where I'm not initiating) works best for me--but certainly doesn't negate my ability to serve on the Supreme Court or really have anything to do with that at all.

anne said...

I know that Jewish people eat Chinese food on both Sunday and Christmas, since those were generally the days that only Chinese resturants were open and everyone else was celebrating being Christian.

ella said...

Hmm--interesting point on #10. My parents take excessive joy on being able to get senior citizen discounts on everything from movies to meals. And my mother is going to start collecting social security in a few months. Not that I blame her - better get it while it's still there!

Airam said...

Your number 2 makes me laugh! I happen to really like that show but as I watch it, I can't help but think, "How the fuck can Carrie afford all those damn designer clothes and shoes!!! She writes ONE column!!"

Miriam D said...

Nice list! I don't agree with all of them, (I love shoes) but it takes me only half an hour to get ready in the morning too (sometimes less) and I usually don't wear anything more than foundation and concealer.

I also never got why girls liked Sarah Jessica Parker's character on SATC. She was the worst of the bunch!!

And I've never watched an episode of Grey's Anatomy. No comments there.

megabrooke said...

Look at you with all your confessions! I don't agree with all of them, but it's interesting to hear your opinions!

boohoo said...

Hehehe I love it!

I have to disagree with #2 and #3 but the rest you're spot on. Oh except I've never in my life seen Grey's Anatomy so I can't comment on that.

#9 is totally me. Maybe I'm lucky cos I have curly hair but all I do is wash it, brush it and leave it. That's it. And I only where mascara if I'm off out somewhere nice. Other wise I don't bother. Hehehe.

Legally Gray said...

I feel compelled to comment on your last point. I am a 60 year old law student (yes, that is six zero) and do volunteer work with senior citizens. I am not sure why you think that it is a "lie" that seniors paid their dues when they were younger. Congress created Social Security and Medicare, and seniors (and young people now) PAY into those programs so that they may benefit from them when they are older. Where's the lie and where's the giveaway? Seniors on Social Security and Medicare are entitled to get what the government promised them and what they PAID for. Sure, there can be abuses, but would you punish the innocent to penalize the guilty? If the government can no longer afford the benefits that were EARNED by senior citizens based on the government's promises, then young people should work to change the laws...just as seniors, when they were young, worked to have the laws created. I would love to hear your "longer story" and I would love for you to meet some of the seniors I work with who are existing on less than $1000 per month that they EARNED by working for 40 years...and then are preyed upon by unscrupulous scammers.

Accidentally Me said...

Legally - I am glad someone asked, since no one else seemed to care!

I was referring to the way social security is funded, and the root problem is the myth of the "Trust Fund". People haven't been paying into a trust fund for 6 years, they have just been paying the regular expenses of the government and being told that they are paying into a trust fund.

It would be like you putting money into a savings account, then making a "loan" from your savings account to your checking account and spending all of the money. But still reporting that you have a whole bunch of assets in your savings account because your checking account "owes" all of that money. Bottom line, you don't have anything, and you haven't been saving anything.

I have an even longer version, and if you send me your email address, I will give you the really long version, but I am out of room here:-)

Aaron said...

I almost agree completely... except for the orgasmic shoe shopping. :P

Anonymous said...

I love Grey's and SATC, but I'm totally with you on the looks of the people and whining on GA, and the complete clownishness of Carrie Bradshaw and the unrealistic lives they lead.

I'm 100% with you on 3,4,6,7,8, & 9!