Monday, December 03, 2007

Real Issues on Mondays!

(Late addition to this post)

Sometime last week I went over 20,000 visitors, and I regret to say that I didn't even notice. I am actually kind of sad that I wasn't paying attention...one of the things I like most about blogging is the idea that all kinds of random people stop in to see what's up. Therefore, I really like keeping track of the sitemeter stuff. But I missed this one, and for that I am sorry.

However, more hearty thanks to all of you that stop in and read, and especially those of you that comment. Because that is what really makes my day brighter:-)

(Now back to the original entire post)

We got our first snow fall, although it was only a little bit. It still made everything look pretty this morning out the window:-) Of course now it is just raining and sleeting a little bit, which is not fun at all. Stupid weather.

Very nice birthday dinner for Papa Bear last night, weather and all. We went to his favorite restaurant (which is really nice, and is therefore a-OK by me!). I know it is kind of weird...he is not my Dad, but in a way I sort of feel like he is, and he very much likes having all of "his kids" around him. He is also an incredibly important part of Munchkin's life, and for that I will always be eternally grateful.

So we had a very nice dinner...Big Sis and The Brain Surgeon, Smoking Hot Roommate and The Rocket Scientist, Me, Munchkin and The Boy. And I ate too much, but that is kind of to be expected:-)

Totally random subject, and not really typical blog stuff...but is anyone paying attention to the impending government action to intervene in the housing and mortgage markets? Since this is very much a geographic issue, and I have a bunch of readers from different corners or the country, I wanted to see if anyone had any strong thoughts. I do (surprise:-)) but I will keep them quiet for a day in case anyone wants to chime in. I know, kind of boring for a Monday, but I don't have anything else...:-) Respond via email or comment or IM if you'd like...

4 comments:

OC said...

I don't think the government has any place butting in the housing/mortgage market. This is a strong opinion, but I think they will only make it worse. I'm not going to go on and on... but I'll put it out there.

*hiding from potential criticism*

boohoo said...

I haven't even checked my overall vistor number - I'll have to do that one day :)

I hadn't heard about the government issue. I'll have to google it to find out more.

Anonymous said...

OK, I have some thoughts on the mortgage issue. I am from Michigan where the economy really sucks! There are many people losing their jobs. Many of these people are also losing their homes. This is sad I would never want to see anyone lose their homes.

One of the big problems is that many people took out ARM's to get the benefit of the lower interest rate believing that they could refinance before the rate increased. Unfortunately in the meantime they have lost their jobs, taken pay cuts, etc. They are unable to refinance and are unable to pay the new mortgage payment at the higher interest rate. There are so many homes in foreclosure at this time. And like I said it is very sad.

BUT.....I believe that people live way beyond their means, have high debt and put themselves in this predicament. My husband has also lost his job but we did not put ourselves in the situation where we would lose our house because of it. I just wish people were more responsible for their own actions and decisions because in the long run they are costing everyone else.

Anonymous said...

All right, I'll bite.

Looking at the small picture, it's absurd that the government is getting involved. What kind of idiot makes the bigget purchase of his/her life and doesn't consider that they won't be able to make the payments WHEN interest rates go up? How can you not do your research on something like that? I guess if you know the government is going to bail you out, there's no reason. What about the people who chose a mortgage loan that would suit them for the life of the loan? Should the government send them a check for the extra interest they paid for choosing a smart loan vs. the cheaper option up front? I'm just amazed at people's stupidity and lack of accountability.

Big picture, I recognize that part of the governments job is to try to keep the economy stable. I am just not a fan of bailing people out who created their own little cluster f**k because they didn't want to say 'no' to themselves.