Monday, December 17, 2007

Ice, Ice Baby

What a mess it is around here! Last Thursday's snow was followed by a big snowfall early Sunday morning, which was then followed by an enormous mess of rain, sleet and other random water-based things falling from the sky. Since snow clogs all of the sewers, it leads to a whole lot of standing water.

Now it is 18 degrees outside, which means that all of that water has frozen. That leaves us with a lot of snow and a lot of ice. And the ice is in a lot of really bad places. Everyone who drove to work today reports that it is a nightmare trying to get around anywhere. Walking wasn't too bad, and it is all really scenic:-P

Where did I leave off...I got a lot of Christmas shopping done on Friday, but I also realized exactly how much I have left to do...I am kinda fucked. Also, didn't do any Saturday because we went sledding instead and then I was tired:-) I will have to find some time this week.

Dinner was pretty cool on Saturday. The parents of one of Munchkin's friends hosted, partially to show off their new house with a just-completed renovation. I gotta say...it is pretty fucking spectacular. It is a four-story brownstone on Marlborough Street that they bought as a complete shit hole. They had pictures of the day they first got it...holes in the walls and floors, broken windows, wires hanging everywhere. It is hard to imagine how a building falls into disrepair like that in a neighborhood like that...I wonder if maybe someone got foreclosed on and trashed it on their way out.

Whatever happened, they did a very long, very detailed (and I am guessing very expensive) restoration and renovation and it is now really, really gorgeous. Tons of original detail was restored and it has a really grand, turn-of-the-century kind of feel to it. Also, it was good to see a lot of the parents that I haven't seen in a while...I like them all:-)

The Boy and I met up with some of his friends afterwards, but we were kinda beat, so we didn't stay out real late. It started snowing at around midnight, just before we left to walk home. I have to be honest, walking across Boston Common and past the frog pond...it was really kind of neat, and dare I say, romantic:-)

And then Sunday was just a complete mess...cold, windy, rain, sleet, snow and basic ickiness. I went out in the middle of it to walk over to The Boy's place, which is all of about a 7 minute walk...and it was miserable! I was drenched by the time I got there...he was a gentlemen and offered to help me out of my wet clothes though, isn't he nice?

He is painting his bedroom, so he had his mattress on the living room floor in front of the TV, and I spent much of the afternoon buried in blankets, which was really pretty sweet! Kind of a nice place to spend a miserable Sunday afternoon:-)

2 comments:

boohoo said...

That sounds nice and cosy :)

For the first time this year I was behind on Christmas presents too. But I managed to finish it all of yesterday.

Aaron said...

18deg, ice and folks still drive to work?

I don't even think I'd walk to work in that!