Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Welcoming the Unpleasant

I got two emails and a comment on the mortgage thing, so I will let it sit for another day before I go on a rant...chime in with any thoughts.

Much more pressing issues to take care of, which I have not mentioned to anyone (other than Smoking Hot Roommate and The Boy) for two weeks. The day after Thanksgiving...a full day before I got the flu...I woke up sick. Upset stomach, threw up, felt much better. Hmm...

Then I was sick for a couple of days. By Friday I was better, but I got randomly sick to my stomach on Friday afternoon and threw up again. Immediately felt better afterwards. At that point, obviously, the thought crossed my mind that there was a chance I was pregnant. The little pills are supposed to keep that from happening, but you never know. But I was like 99% sure it was just a little bug.

Sunday morning, same thing...woke up sick to my stomach, threw up, felt better. Now I was only maybe 90% sure that I wasn't pregnant, which is just enough to start worrying. And you know what? I don't want a baby...not right now, and no time soon. But it really wouldn't be the end of the world. It would dramatically crimp my social life, but I don't feel like it is something I couldn't handle.

The Boy was not terribly upset by the prospect, either. He doesn't exactly want a kid this minute, either...but he would most definitely greet it as a purely joyous event (more so than I would.) If I told him I wanted to get married tomorrow and have kids right away, he would be incredibly excited...so the idea doesn't bother him at all.

[Soft-stomached men who don't like discussion of "Lady Issues" should skip the next paragraph]

Now, any female readers I have know that if you live with another woman, your cycles tend to line up. Something about hormones. I have lived with Smoking Hot Roommate for nearly five years now, and at this point we are as coordinated as synchronized swimmers. With the exception of a couple times I had to come off of the pill because I was taking antibiotics for one thing or another, we have gotten our periods on the same day every month for like four years.

It is also really predictable...and yesterday was the day. So what happened? Well...right on schedule, she got hers. And me? Not so much...

[OK...safe to read again, boys]

So yesterday I was pretty horribly tied in knots all day. I still didn't think I was pregnant, but I was becoming much less sure of that as time went along. Now I think I was starting to think of the practical issues...

In the course of a girl's life, the menstrual cycle is almost always a giant pain in the ass. You get bloated and irritable, nothing fits, its hard to sleep and life is generally worse than usual. And there is the oh-so-pleasant discharging. Every month, there are several really horrible days of dealing with it, and no one looks forward to it.

On some rare occasions, however, this all comes as a giant relief...a reminder by nature that everything is in order and your reproductive capacity is in status quo.

Today, ladies and gentlemen, is one of those days:-) I am not sure I am quite in "shout from the rooftops" mode just yet, but I sure am not at all annoyed to get my period...

Whoo hoo! No babies for me!

Pass the Grey Goose.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG you are funny!

Yeah, I always felt sorry for my Dad. I am one of three sisters! Four PMS'ing women in one house!

Miriam D said...

Hello! Stumbled on your blog a while back, and have been peeking in.

I totally understand you. Your period is like that unwelcome friend who must visit you every month, but when she doesn't show up, it's the end of the world. I can't tell you how many times I've had these moments.

Now pass ME the grey goose!

Ally said...

I never begrudge my period--after the last scare, I realized what a blessing it is.

Grey Goose Orange please.

Anonymous said...

Congrats - been there - and it always feels good when that period comes!

Anonymous said...

PHEW!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on NOT being knocked up!

You also commented on my blog about babies ruining a social life...see, that doesn't apply much to me! The little social life I do have is with other women who also have the baby fever or have babies already so I'd still be good in that department :)

anne said...

Cheers! Things like that are better when you are at least planning on it, to say the least.

I initially came to comment on the mortgages and at first held off but really your non-pregnancy is a non-issue at this point so I'll tell you what happened today. I was at the courthouse for a hearing and every other hearing being called were foreclosures. It was really sad and something I had not seen in the past few years. A real sign that there is some sort of crisis.

Still just me said...

My oldest was a pill baby, she slipped in under that tiny percent mark.

I found out I was 6 weeks pregnant, 4 weeks after I got married. I was young, stupid, and doing so many drugs.

I was not ready to be a mother, but she made me ready. I realized very quickly that it wasn't just about me anymore, and I cleaned up my act.

If it wasn't for her, I would still be in that life.

boohoo said...

Ahh the good old pregnancy scare. I freak out a little if I don't get my period on the day it's expected. And you could guarantee when I had a condoms-using sex life and there was the slightest, tiniest chance there might be a problem my period would come as late as it could manage.

Funny you should talk about this actually cos me and Ray were discussing it last night: how I don't freak out so much about getting pregnant now I'm on the pill, whereas I thought I'd be freaking out heaps.

Every period is a blessing for me cos as much as I know I and we could handle a child, Ray is still far too young!

Aaron said...

Please allow me the first insensitive comment.

You've got to pay to play!

Hence, why I've gone without for almost 2 years now. Perhaps I'll blog the reason why. I'm sure everyone will be riveted to their seat throughout the blog.

Sara said...

I know this comment is really late, but I've been trying to read your blog from the beginning, so I've left your site up for days on end. Didn't want you worry you had some crazy stalker out there!

But I can totally get behind the no-baby celebration. I use the pill AND a condom every time, just to make sure.