Thursday, December 06, 2007

Where will you be this weekend?

I think I am going to post again this afternoon with my thoughts on the mortgage issue. Why this afternoon? Well...because I am not going to be here tomorrow.

Where, you ask, will I be? Good question! And I could use some input on that...

Background: For a couple of years now, I have wanted to take Munchkin to New York City sometime during the Christmas season. There is really no place quite like New York at Christmas (or really any other time, I suppose, but especially this time of year.) All of the lights, the, people, etc. A couple weeks ago, Smoking Hot Roommate, knowing about this, said that she wanted to take the two of us as an early Christmas present.

The plan was for a pretty basic girls-trip. Get down there tomorrow morning, stay until Sunday, do a bunch of tourist things, shop, eat, and just basically hang out. This was all set and ready to go until...well, it got really, really cold!

Once the cold snap moved in, and the forecast called for a frigid weekend in Manhattan, we started to think that maybe our little weekend trip should go a little bit further south. Like Florida. The forecast for the weekend has improved a bit (they are now saying highs of 40-45 each day in the city) but this beach idea is still pretty appealing.

Let me outline the pros and cons of each. The pros of going to New York are that it is a little closer, and will be much more festive and Christmasy. As mentioned, it is a unique time of year and I would like to take Munchkin to see it. On the downside, it will be cold and really hectic. In addition, while New York is beautiful at Christmas, Boston is pretty nice, and Chicago does it up well, too, and we will be there in two weeks.

Florida has the giant benefit of being warm! SHR and family have a house there, which also means it would be really laid-back and much more relaxing. The cons include the slightly longer trip and the lack of "specialness". It will still be warm there next month when it is still cold here, but NY will not be nearly as festive as it is now. Munchkin is going to Aruba after Christmas, and SHR and I (and the boys) could do the beach thing in Florida then if we wanted to.

So, there you have it. Yes, tomorrow morning I am leaving to go somewhere, and I don't know where yet. What do we think? Big city Christmas or warm beach getaway?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have to go wiht NYC becasue it is the single most amazing city at Christmastime. Munchkin is going to Aruba anyway and will reap in the benefits of the sunshine and warmth so I think NYC is the way to go - especially at her age - she will be in wonderland!You can go skating at Rockefellar Center and go to Bloomies and get into the spirit of Christmas!

we're all a little weird said...

big city Christmas definitely! I went there with my parents during the season a few years ago and it was amazing. You just can't beat it! I think the cold is worth it:)

megabrooke said...

I vote for NYC. I went there last year during Christmas time... and there's just nothing like it. I think Munchkin will really like that (and you girls too!)... and plus, with her warm vacay coming up, I think this one is the one I'd go with.

xo

ella said...

I thought you hated Florida!

But I'd pick it over NYC this time of year. And you know how much I love and miss the city.

Accidentally Me said...

Ella - I am not talking about moving there...just sitting on the beach for two days!

Miriam D said...

I'm from NYC, and I'll jsut forewarn you it is FREEZING here. However, I will argue it is much more Christmas-y than Florida. So come my way!! And pack warm clothes.

Lpeg said...

NYC, definitely!!

Rockefeller Plaza, ice skating, snow!

Anonymous said...

If Munchkin loved the British Virgin Islands, she will hate Aruba! But she's a lucky girl to get to go nonetheless. I'll check in from the BVIs next week to try to sell you on that!

Anyway...I would do NYC just because it's a short trip. Go to the beach when you can stay longer!

Aaron said...

Whichever one you pick, have fun with it!

(Although, I've never spent a Christmas in Flordia. I'll have to ask Sarah how that works.) :D