Friday, December 28, 2007

Moving

This is the story of two condos. Or more specifically, of two homes.

Condo #1 was my first home in Boston, and it was Munchkin's first home in Boston, too. Smoking Hot Roommate bought it during Spring Break of our senior year and had it renovated before we moved it. It's a 1,600 square foot, 3 bedroom unit on the third floor, right near Boston Common. In addition to being a gorgeous apartment, it is also a place that carries quite a bit of emotional attachment for me.

During the fall of last year (right after I started blogging), we moved to Condo #2. Big Sis actually saw it when she was looking for her house, and while it wasn't quite what she wanted, she thought SHR might like it, so she suggested that she go to see it. SHR loved it, and decided to make an unscheduled move. Condo #2 is much bigger (3,200 square feet, 5 bedrooms) and quite a bit more "stately". We moved in at the end of October.

This coincided with The Rocket Scientist (SHR's fiance) returning from a lengthy trip abroad and needing a place to live, and SHR not quite wanting to move in with him just yet. So, after Munchkin, SHR and I moved into Condo #2, he and one of his college buddies moved into Condo #1. The intention was that after some time, we would swap places...The Rocket Scientist to Condo #2 and me and Munchkin back to Condo #1.

And that is where we are now...during the weekend after next (Jan. 5-6), Munchkin and I are moving. More specifically, I am moving and when Munchkin gets back from her trip, she has a new (old) home to go to. Sometime next summer or fall, The Boy is going to sell his place and move in with us. Eventually, I would love to buy it from SHR, but that is a ways down the road.

In the meantime, I am feeling...well...I am feeling a lot. I am happy and sad and nervous and excited and all kinds of other emotions. I am ecstatic about living alone with Munchkin, I think it is going to be a lot of fun. But I am gonna miss living with SHR. I have lived with her since August of 2002, and it will be a big adjustment to not see her every morning and night now.

When you live with someone that long and go through all of the things we have gone through together, it seems trivial to refer to her as a "friend". She is more than that to me, and she is more than that to Munchkin...she has been a friend, sister, mother and an integral day-to-day part of a very important two years of Munchkin's life.

The truth is that I always liked Condo #1 better anyway, so that part will be easy. #2 is, by all measures, nicer...but I always felt more at home in #1 and am excited to go back. It is also like 200 yards from the other one: we are not talking about a distance at all (it is closer to work and school).

But losing my other half for five years now is going to be tough, and as the day approaches, I am getting more and more emotional about it.

8 comments:

Lpeg said...

I, too, am in the process of moving. And although I am moving for all good reasons, I am going to miss living by myself, as I now have a roommate to contend with - one that I have met twice.

I hope things work out well for you and Munchkin, and life is about changes, right?

Goodluck with the move! And atleast you are only 200 yards from SHR instead of 200 miles!

kristin said...

it sounds like an exciting time for y'all still! you are really lucky to have found someone as great to live with as SHR. and it's that memory of those times and the joy of what's ahead for y'all that will keep you smiling for a long time to come. :)

Anonymous said...

Aww, what a mix of emotions for sure! I have never lived with someone other than a family member, so I can't imagine that bond, but I know how important and special she is to you. It is very lucky that both you and Munchkin both have someone so close.

Still just me said...

Here's hoping that your move goes better than mine is. I am now on week four, and hoping today is my last day.

Whine Girl said...

awwwwwwwwwwww... it definitely sounds like you're more "sisters" than just friends. You have to cut the umbilical cord sometime though :)

Most roomies end up not liking each other, so you guys have done very well!

Anonymous said...

Of course you're going to get emotional about it - I am even getting emotional knowing you are going to miss SHR and that Munchkin will miss her too - There are so many upsides to you and Munchkin having your own space, however, and now The Boy can come over anytime and there will be space for all of you. I know this transition is hard but I also know you are a strong woman who can do anything so just go throug the motions and the emotions will follow.

boohoo said...

I'm moving that weekend too! It's my first big move out of home but my sister is coming with me so the Moving In With The Boyfriend part isn't scary at all hehe.

Aaron said...

The Boy is gonna expect you to give all that up anyway before he moves in, I'm sure. Best to start getting used to it now...