Friday, October 19, 2007

Baby Genes

Me and Little Miss Hobble-a lot went over to see the new baby last night, which was really fun. The baby is as adorable as all other babies are, and everyone is super excited about it. Twin Sister had a pretty routine birth, no C-section and came out of it in really good shape. She took a little nap in the afternoon, but by evening she was already getting a little stir crazy and can't wait to get out of the hospital Saturday.

OK...I have a confession to make...I am nut sure I have the baby gene. I feel like women are hard-wired to fawn all over newborns and completely lose all sense of anything when they are around them. Women have a natural desire to want to hold and rock and kiss babies and coo at them and just want so much to have their own.

But I don't. I think they are really cute, but seeing a newborn doesn't necessarily make me want to have one. Never once have I thought "I just can't wait to have my own." Not that I don't want them (well, one), but I just don't feel like I have the same emotional reaction to newborns that a lot of women have. I have heard a couple of women say that once your friends start having them you immediately get the baby bug...seeing a friend with one makes you want one.

No dice. In fact, seeing the total and complete abuse that it puts your body through makes me fear the whole process even more. Am I totally abnormal in this? For my female readers, did you always get goofy when you saw babies? Or does it grow on you?

Just for the record, this is not something I am all that worried about. I don't really consider my sole purpose on earth to spit out children...I have all kinds of other goals that I aspire to in addition to one day hoping to have my own children (child). But still, I am 25 and I feel like there should at least be some part of me that can't wait to have kids...

I dunno...maybe I have already fed some of my natural parenting tendencies. Maybe I feel like I owe myself some time with none of that kind of responsibility. Or maybe I know I am too selfish to lovingly get up three times a night to feed a crying baby.

There is, however, something that does make me want to have a baby: The Boy. He has said on a number of occasions that he is really, really looking forward to being a Dad someday...in fact, I think if I told him tomorrow that I was pregnant he would be unconditionally overjoyed. He will make a fantastic father, too...I think he has the perfect temperament, is much more selfless than I am (sometimes) and is just a generally loving and caring person.

And his enthusiasm is somewhat infectious. I guess knowing how much it means to him makes me want to have kids someday even more than my own instincts do.

OK, I rambled a lot today...just so there is no confusion, there are NO BABIES in the immediate future. This is all in the context of a 5-7 year time frame. But this was just kind of top-of-mind this morning. And it's Friday and I had nothing better to say:-)

Tomorrow is my one year blogiversary...I guess I need to work on something special for that!

Go Red Sox:-)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary!

As for the baby thing, it didn't hit me until a year ago (I was 22) when my cousin and his wife had a baby. I am pretty close with them, so when I held the baby for the first time, it was so much more exciting being that he was a member of the family. I would say the baby gene is something that definitely grows. I was never one of those people who fawn over babies...and now, I do a lot of fawning!

Anonymous said...

I was and am not one to go crazy over babies. Immediate family is different. I was excited for my nieces and nephew but with other people's babies, even close friends, I did not feel the urge to hold them at all.

When you have your own baby it is so different. You can't get enough. My pregnancy was unexpected but after the initial shock I wondered why I didn't feel the desire sooner. You are young still - when the time is right you will feel it. And you will be a wonderful Mom!

-Carree

ella said...

I definitely don't get baby fever. Part of me is still not sure I want to put my body through that. What's refreshing is that my friends who are moms, are not the stereotypical "doting" moms. If I ever become a mother, I'm sure I'll be the same.

Ally said...

I had been around babies before and felt the way you do, but when my sister had her first child it was completely different. And I remember thinking that if I felt love for my own child like I did for my niece that the rest would just come naturally. But before that I could really care less about little kids/babies. And even now I'm not drawn to infants; I like children more once they have a personality.

OC said...

I'm with you. I don't think I have the baby gene. I held my 7-day old cousin on Easter this year, and quite honestly, I was more afraid of breaking him that I didn't even know what to do. I'm afraid the baby gene will never come about, actually.

Still just me said...

Your mommy wanna be genes are saturated right now with Munchkin. I also agree with the others by saying that it is only different with your own child, and even then it may take awhile for the idea to adjust.

You are already a wonderful mother/sister, and I am sure if you decide to have a little one, that child will be as lucky as Munchkin.

boohoo said...

I don't go silly over babies either. I mean, I adore kids but babies kinda scare me a little cos they're so small. i prefer it when they're up and about and you have to run around after them and they have their own little personalities.

I am a very broody person and can't wait to have children but it's not the baby I crave for it's the motherhood. I'm still not sure I'd physically have a child of my own; I know I want to adopt. It's definitely motherhood I have the urge for.

Maybe cos we've both raised children who aren't our own it's put a squiffy view on having children for us that other people don't share?