Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Boo!

Happy Halloween everyone:-) I wore my awesome Fergie costume to work today...(kidding).

I have never been an enormous Halloween fan. I always like the candy, and I do like dressing up, but I always felt like costume parties were a little too much work than they were worth. I prefer to keep my dress-up to more private parties these days;-)

I have noticed that Munchkin has been a little less excited about Halloween this year, too. I guess that is a sign that she is growing up. In years past, I feel like the costume was conceptualized weeks in advance, and the whole evening required an enormous amount of planning. She is still fired up this year, but it wasn't an all-encompassing October event like maybe the last couple of years.

And I am amazed, as a lot of people in the blogosphere have written, at the sex-level of pre-teen girls' costumes. I don't mean to judge, but if you let your 12 year old girl leave the house in her underwear, you are not a very good parent, period. Luckily, Munchkin has no desire to dress like a hooker, and it will probably be pretty cold, so I had no costume issues. She and a couple of her friends are dressing up as pirates. Not exactly Pirates of the Caribbean, but close, or as she says "Pirates, but you know, like cute girl pirates."

Also, she is going out to a friend's house in another town (this one, for those who care:-)) and they are now old enough to go out on their own. So, yes, I am a little bummed that I don't get to go this year:-( They certainly wouldn't care if I went (I am, after all, the coolest Mom in the sixth grade) but I sorta wish they still needed me to go.

OK, forget I said that, it is way too sappy...

I doubt we will get any trick-or-treaters, although if we sit on the stairs outside the front door of our building, we probably would. But the kids that are around (and there aren't a ton around here) won't come into the building and ring everyone's buzzer. And I am meeting some friends for dinner and drinks, so I won't be sitting on the steps anyway:-P

Anyone have any good costumes this year?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My 10 year old neice is a "cute girl pirate" this year also. It is a nice costume, not too revealing - as kids costumes should not be!

I cannot believe some of the costumes out there for girls - thankfully I have a boy!

-Carree

Aaron said...

I've got a few deadlines at work which prohibited me from spending any real time coming up with a new costume... so I recycled my Ferris Beuller costume from an 80's party earlier in the year.

boohoo said...

I've never really done the whole halloween thing - I don't think it's such a big thing here in the UK. I haven't seen any halloween pre-teen sex wear round this way, thank God. But the young girls don't really need a holiday as an excuse to dress slutty round heren :/