Saturday, October 20, 2007

A Wonderful Year

So today is the big day...alright, I am lying...it is Friday night, which means that tomorrow is really the big day, but there is a good chance I don't finish this until after midnight, which means I will have my days right after all. I guess this is appropriate since my first post was on a Friday night when Munchkin was sleeping and I was home alone...and tonight she is sleeping, Smoking Hot Roommate is away for a quick vacation with The Rocket Scientist and The Boy is at his parents house for the night.

That leaves me at home with my pajamas and some time to be thoughtful. Munchkin and I went over to meet The Boy at the hospital work and see everyone before the three of us took off to get dinner. Munchkin wanted sushi, which is fine by both of us! The poor thing is still hobbled a bit, so she didn't want to go out with her friends tonight...and that means that she and I had some girl time, and now I am blogging before I go curl up next to her in bed:-) Aren't we cute?

So...down to business. It has been one big fat year since I started blogging. In that time, I have written 322 posts and published 319 of them. I have doled out myriad nifty nicknames for all kinds of people (Munchkin, SHR, Big Sis, Papa Bear, Tinkerbelle, The Boy, The Rocket Scientist, The Brain Surgeon, BFFb and BFFg, Boss Foxy, The Body, The Mouth etc.)

I moved (two blocks, and I am moving back soon!). I got promoted and got a fat raise:-) I survived Munchkin's first boyfriend, first date, first kiss and first breakup (and the second, third and fourth or some of those things.) I went to a family wedding for a family that I am only technically not a part of. I thought I had cancer for a bit but didn't. I thought I may have lost The Boy for a bit but I didn't.

My father died, and I don't miss him. I feel bad for my aunts and uncles, who I adore, that they lost hold of their brother a long time ago. But he never had a place in my life, and he doesn't have a place in my heart now.

I did, however, gain a sister, which counts as the biggest event of the year, by far. Out of the blue, right before Christmas, I met my seven year old half-sister that I never knew about. I wish I saw her more. I am glad that I get to see her as much as I do, and I can't wait to see her again soon. I am glad that she and her Mom have found their new family, and honestly, I am glad that my Father is no longer around to fuck it up. They fit in great without him.

So, if I think back to the Friday night one year ago, what was I hoping to get out of this? And how am I different and how am I the same? I am not really sure what I wanted out of this, other than I thought it would be fun, and I thought it would be a good way to write my thoughts down. And that has been very true...this is a great running diary, and it really is fun. I went back and read a bunch of the early posts in preparation for writing this, and I found myself crying a lot. I can't really explain why, but it just made me kind of emotional.

The thing I didn't expect is all of the fun people I have "met" via this forum. Ally, e.b., Brandy, Ella, Aaron, Brookem, Nicole D., Claire, Billy, OC, Not Bubbly, Jordan, K.D., Still Just Me, Vix, Airam, Ys, Princess Extraordinaire, Kristin, Scotty, Trixie, The Copasetic Fish, Life Uncommon, Desiree, Kate, Megan... And some of the new ones like Jessie, ClearlyKels, Christi, Lowly Peasant Errand Girl and Maria.

And, let us all observe a moment of silence for the totally-disappeared GreenLineBoy, SoCalSweetie and some others. Some I know only through blogs, some have sent wonderful and thoughtful emails, and there are some who keep me entertained via IM at work:-)

I find myself legitimately caring about your happiness and wishing for things to go well for you. I feel involved in your lives, at least passively, and I love that you can observe mine and offer sometimes objective advice. Blogs are such a weird little window into the lives of others and a means to meet types of people I would never otherwise spend a lot of time with. When I look back, I think there are things I expected to write about already that I haven't and now maybe I won't. I wonder if this is because I feel less anonymous than I thought...I feel like I know some of you (of course, those that I do "know" know most of my secrets...:-D)

I think the easy thing to do is to highlight all the differences since this time last year...but in reality, I think I am very much the same. I am a year older, maybe a little wiser and a little more grown up, but I am still in the same place and feel like things are in a blissful state of...I dunno..."life". And that is good.

Really for the last two years not a whole lot has changed, and for that I feel pretty good...Munchkin's moving out here, for all of its obvious effects just, well, doesn't seem like that big a deal. She is just our much younger roommate...and I have to go to parent-teacher conferences...lol. She is happy, she is doing great in school and great socially and for that I am proud and grateful.

So, its been a year. An almost unanimously good year. I would happily take a whole bunch more years just like this one!

As for the coming year, there will be some bigger changes, but you will have to tune in to find out what!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogerversary!!! ;)

I'm glad I came across your blog... many posts ago. Your life is intriguing, especially the part where you stepped up to the plate with Munchkin. And now this, a new little (half) sis!? The surprises in your life keep us entertained. Thanks for sharing your story.

Ally said...

Congratulations on your anniversary and a very prolific year of blogging. I'm glad to "know" you AM:)

Still just me said...

I love you blog, and it never ceases to amaze me that with everything that has been thrown at you, at such a young age, that you seem to have your shit together much better than I do.

I am grateful that I have got to meet you through this medium.

Whine Girl said...

Here! Here! (gulp)

I'm glad that I somehow came across your blog (a year ago?)... I think it may have been through Ally or GLB, not sure?

GLB wasn't kidding when he said "this may be the end"... he could update us from time to time for the LOVE OF GOD.. not just totally disappear! Bad GlB!

Anyway.... here's to another year sister friend!!

:-)

and ps:

if I knew your IM, I'd have kept you somewhat entertained as well!

MWGirl said...

Beautifully written.

megabrooke said...

you, miss AM, ROCK.

Anonymous said...

Happy bloggiversary and thanks for the shout-out!

Scotty said...

Glad that I found your blog, I truly enjoy your stories and tales :) Very well written.

And you're right, its kinda funny how much you get to know and look forward to folks without having ever 'met' them.

Anonymous said...

Happy Blog-a-versaty!! You really have had quite a year and it's been incredible sharing it with you (even though I just began bloggin in Feb). Here's to many more to come and a new year filled with the best of health, happiness and hope...

OC said...

Happy Blog-aversary! It is interesting how we can meet and feel like we know people who live all across the country... and we get these little windows to their lives - the lives they let others see - usually pretty uncensored, but always entertaining.

Glad that I found your blog and hopefully I keep you semi-entertained at work! :)

boohoo said...

Hey-happy blogaversary! I'm very happy I found your blog :) I look forward to another year!

Airam said...

Congrats on one year!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you started blogging AM. Your blog is always fun to read, and when you miss a day or two, I feel symptoms of withdrawal, almost. Keep it up, and if you pull a GLB I will come to Boston and track you down...lol. But seriously I am looking forward to this upcoming year, as per your post......hmmmm.

Aaron said...

Is this a farewell speach?

I suppose we'll all eventually tire of blogging. Perhaps I'll go the way of GLB: once I get tired of complaining about my fiance and marry her, I won't have anything left to blog about. :)

Anonymous said...

Awww...you said it all so perfectly. Happy Blogiversary! It did sort of sound like a farewell, which I hope isn't the case.

ella said...

Thanks for the shout out! IM wouldn't be the same without you.