Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Glowing

I trust that no one missed me too much yesterday. A little bit of crying is acceptable, but anything more than that is gonna be kind of awkward for all of us.

The weekend was absolutely perfect and full of complete awesomeness:-) We got a good, early start on Friday, hit no traffic once we got out of the city and made it up there in pretty quick time. This was aided by swapping cars with Big Sis for the weekend...vroom vroom!!! She and Munchkin had some stuff to do that required the bigger car. (For reference, she has one of these, and I have one of these.)

We had a bunch of rain on Thursday night, but the storms all moved out to sea on Friday, so there was this really cool, dark grey sky when the sun came out. The sun on the dark, dark storm clouds made for tons and tons of really neat colors. If the camera hadn't been in the trunk, I would have taken pictures (pictures that we all know I never would have posted, so maybe it is not a huge loss.)

We got to the hotel and they let us check in early because they were super nice and thought we were super cute:-) That was kind of a theme of the whole weekend...the hotel people were really nice. It is kind of a smallish place and like half of the staff is the owner and her family. After we checked in, we were greeted by name for most of the time. Plus, it was really cute and had some spectacular views of the mountains, which look amazing at this time of year.

We went into the town and had lunch and bummed around the stores a little bit and before we knew it, the afternoon was gone. Most everyone else arrived late afternoon in time for the rehearsal and then the rehearsal dinner. The Red Sox won and things got a little skippy, but nothing got too far out of control:-) We turned in a little bit on the early side for two reasons...1) 9:00 am spa appointments, and 2) I had on a pair of pants that look really hot on me, and well, he is only human:-D

The spa was awesome!!! Since this is the first time I got him to agree to go, I made sure we did the full treatment...we both got massages and facials, but he drew the line at the mani/pedi. Baby steps. I am not sure he enjoyed the facial enough to get another one, but he didn't hate it, and he definitely enjoyed the massage. Mostly he just probably liked me walking around in that super short little spa robe:-P

The wedding was beautiful...not real big, but loads of fun! I had a really funny/kinda weird conversation with the Bride's Mother. Since I didn't make this real clear last week...The Boy dated the bride for almost two years during and immediately after college. They broke up, and about a year later she started dating one of his very best friends (it was not a terribly traumatic breakup, as you may be guessing). The upshot is that The Boy knows all of her family and met them all as "the serious boyfriend" a while ago.

And her mother LOVES him...she apparently took the breakup much harder than her daughter did. So we were chatting a bit and she told me how much she loved him and was crushed when they broke up and yada yada yada. And like 97% of it was just "Oh, I like him so much, and I am glad you make him happy" but there was like a weird 3% of "I am still holding out hope that he ditches you and breaks up her marriage"...I dunno, maybe I am making that up:-) [For the record, she adores the groom as well, as does the rest of her family].

The wedding ran pretty late and was a ton of fun (although the Red Sox lost a really LONG game). I danced enough to make my feet hurt, drank only moderately too much, and had like four pieces of cake. The Boy helped give the toast because the groom's brother was super nervous and didn't want to do it himself. Several of his friend suggested he start with "Anyone besides me and the groom seen her naked? I am just taking inventory..." but thankfully he is much too polite to do that:-)

We had a big, giant tub in our room and took a very hot, very bubbly bath when we got back. I am not like a super romantic person, but the bath, a couple of candles, a bottle of wine and a killer footrub definitely counts as pretty special in my book:-) I think it was almost 4:00 by the time we went to sleep, which, combined with three orgasms, the super soft sheets and a wonderfully cozy bed, meant a very, very good night's sleep!!!

Sunday started with brunch for everyone at the wedding, but by about 1:00, everyone was gone and we were on our own. We asked the owner of the hotel if there was a good place to go for a low-stress hike nearby that might lead to some neat views. She gave us directions to a little road nearby, and then when we came back down on our way out, she had packed us a little picnic basket:-) So we drove a little ways, parked the car and hiked up the mountain a little ways. "Hike" is a bit misleading, it was really about a 45 minute, uphill walk. But that is ok, I feel no reason to climb any mountains, and he was carrying a picnic on his back;-)

So we walk for a bit until we reached a little clearing with some GORGEOUS views...I feel like you could see for fifty miles, out over the mountains and down to a big lake. It was a beautiful, sunny day and you could see vibrant reds, yellows and oranges forever. It was just incredibly peaceful and quiet...I am far from a nature nut, but even I can appreciate the feeling of total and complete aloneness. We sat there for maybe an hour or so...not too long. We ate a little of the cheese and crackers and fruit that she packed. And drank most of the bottle of wine:-D

From there we found a little bar in town to watch the Patriots game (they won). We made friends with a bunch of the locals and ate some really good, really heavy food for dinner at the end of the game (I had chicken pot pie that was freakin' awesome). Then back to the hotel for another bath, which was just as much fun as the first one:-) This one was maybe a little but less sweet and a little bit more dirty, but you probably don't need the specifics on that...hee hee. Or maybe you do, all you gotta do is ask...

Technically we had to check out at 10:00 on Monday, but they told us we could stay all day if we wanted, so we went into town for the day. We did a little shopping, although we didn't really buy much (just a couple little things for his sister and her forthcoming baby). Then we took a ride in a horse-drawn carriage which seemed like it would be fun. And it kinda was...we went out over two covered bridges near pretty little waterfalls.

We ended up putzing around in town until mid-afternoon and didn't get home until after dinner. Smoking Hot Roommate was nice enough to get Munchkin to school yesterday and to pick her up after school, so she gets one more mention as the super awesomest best friend around.

And that was extra hard because Munchkin is on crutches:-( She sprained her ankle playing soccer on Saturday, so she had to go to the doctor for an x-ray to make sure it's not broken, then she got crutches and was given instructions on some exercises to do. No soccer for two weeks, and she will need the crutches for another day or two. Thankfully Big Sis served as an adequate caretaker, so she is just fine:-)

One last thing...when I got home, SHR asked me how the weekend was. And after I answered, she said "You sure nothing else happened? You are glowing," so I guess that is a pretty good statement about the super awesomeness of the whole trip!

7 comments:

ella said...

I hope you didn't keep the other guests up at the hotel with all your shenanigans!

OC said...

Sounds perfect! :)

Tell Munchkin to make sure to rest that ankle and let it heal... otherwise she'll have to wear an ankle brace every time she plays soccer for the rest of her life. (Ahem. As someone not as bright learned over a decade ago now...)

Anonymous said...

Wow what an amazing weekend you guys had!! I am so jealous!

Whine Girl said...

I'm glad you had a fantastic weekend!

Cleveland is knocking the shit out of Boston right now, so it totally looks like an Indians / Rockies series... sorry 'bout that anyway. :)

Anonymous said...

I had LOVE those types of weekends...I had one too, this past weekend!

Accidentally Me said...

Ella - I think all the shenanigans were kept at acceptable decibel levels;-) And the noise from the tub probably drowned some out, too...

OC - I can believe how many people have similar stories to that! I had no idea.

Claire - It was pretty awesome;-)

Jordan - I am ok with it, but there is clearly some anxiety throughout the city.

Maria - I see that there was soccer involved this weekend...one of my favorite fall things! Thanks for stopping by:-)

boohoo said...

I'm glad you had such a great time! Sounds like it was amazing :) I've got a nice weekend away with my boyfriend in a posh hotel planned for New Years Eve... this may be the first time I'm actually looking forward to New Years :D