Tuesday, October 30, 2007

And...What Humps?!?! You are skinnier than me!!!

My topic today is Fergie. I have "Big Girls Don't Cry" stuck in my head because I heard it this morning, so she is front-of-mind.

Digression...does everyone else always have a song stuck in their head? I do...the song varies (although Mr. Brightside is still the default choice if nothing else comes up) but I always, always, always have a song in my head.

Anyway, back to Fergie. I don't get it...I try, but I am just missing something. That song is not bad, but she has had a string of hits that are just...well, awful! My Humps, London Bridge, Glamorous, Fergilicious...each one is more gimmicky and dumber than the last one! And seriously, you can't make up a new word out of your name...that is even worse than referring to yourself in the third person!

OK, so some of those are Black Eyed Peas songs and not just her, but I am holding her responsible. And that makes me wonder, why is she a star? Who is it who likes the silly gimmicky stuff enough to buy her music? Obviously a lot of people like her a whole lot more than I do, so I must be missing something. I generally just want to change the station everytime one of those songs comes on.

Is she hotter than I think she is? She has a great body, but she is not that pretty, and I don't feel like she is hot enough to be a star just because she is hot. Kind of like my reaction to Britney's fantasticly retched VMA performance...she looks great for someone with two kids, but for someone who wants to be a singer but can't sing and comes to the table with only a great dancers body and some seductive dance moves? Well, by that standard, she looks terrible.

If I just want to check out absurdly hot chicks, I can just read any of the fifty Victoria's Secret Catalogs that I get every month. And while we are on that subject...do we think the Devil is enjoying Allesandra Ambrisio's soul? She clearly sold it to look like that.

Okay, so I got a little sidetracked here...back to Fergie...what am I missing? Do people really like her music? Or just find it stupid and catchy enough to enjoy for a minute at a time...?

13 comments:

Povosgirl said...

For a while I thought she was learning to spell, because all her songs she was spelling words out!!

Anonymous said...

I don't get it either. She even used to be addicted to meth. But she's hot, so she gets to be famous and spell out her songs. Go figure.

ella said...

Crap! Now you've got that stupid "My Humps" song stuck in my head.

I think Heidi Klum sold her soul to the devil. Who can walk down a VS catwalk just mere weeks after giving birth to a baby Seal?

Thankfully I have escaped the VS catalog curse at my new addy.

Still just me said...

If it's not head banging rock n roll, I don't listen to it.

Logan likes some of her stuff though, but then again, she is 11.

Ally said...

The only one of those songs you listed that I know is "Big Girls Don't Cry," which I actually have on my running playlist. And while I think it's catchy, I agree that these sings barely qualify as music, and I can't imagine buying an entire album of her stuff. And yes, she's not that cute, so I'm not sure what the draw is. Sometimes I wonder if you have to be crappy to make it, given all of the pathetic music that seems to climb the charts now.

Anonymous said...

i loathe fergie. for some reason, she disgusts me. i don't thinks she is pretty at all. she does have an awesome body though. and i guess compared to britney, she can somewhat sing.

Accidentally Me said...

Povosgirl- She tempers her spelling by making up new words!

Claire - That's my point...she isn't hot enough to be famous just because she is hot!

Ella - Sorry about that:-) And you are totally right about Heidi... completely unfair to the rest of us.

SJM - Munchkin kinda does too. But she also likes the Allman Brothers, so I will give her some leeway.

Ally - Yea, I have nothing against that song...but the rest of them are terrible!

Kate - Totally agree.

k.d. said...

i *love* my VS newsletter... ;-)

Aaron said...

When I saddle up my horse
and I ride into the city.
I make a lot of noise
'cause the girls they all so pretty.

Save a horse, ride a cowboy. ;)

That was stuck in my head the other day.

kristin said...

lately it's been anything colbie caillat or tat tat tat it up. but yes, i always have a song in my head.

life is better with a soundtrack anyway.

boohoo said...

Nope, I don't get the Fergie thing either. I just... no, don't like her choices in furthering her career. The Black Eyed Peas have lost the plot as well, though.

Anonymous said...

I get songs stuck in my head constantly. Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger that I wrote about last week haunted me for DAYS.

As far as Fergie goes, I think her songs are full of the dumbest lyrics to ever hit the airwaves...

"I'm up in the gym justa workin on my fitness

He's my witness"

Are you fucking kidding me?

That said...I am also in the category that finds her songs catchy enough to tolerate for the 2 or whatever minutes they are on. As long as I don't focus on the words...just the beat. Ugh.

Did you see her get torn in pieces in the movie Grindhouse? Totally worth it.

E Flo said...

I so don't get it.
I thought the song Fergalious was like 8 different songs because I would just hear clips on the radio.
It just a mess.