Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Somehow, this post ends up being about Al Capone

I got in trouble at school today…lol. On Friday morning, Munchkin and I stopped at Dunkin Donuts on the way to school. We don’t usually, but it was cold and we felt like it. So, I dropped her at school with her hot chocolate (just like 90% of people in the city show up for work with coffee cups).

I think we all know how impressionable kids in the fifth grade can be, and she is the coolest girl in school:-) so we can sort of guess what happened next. Yesterday morning, a whole bunch of kids asked their parents if they could stop at Dunkin Donuts on the way to school, and like 10 kids showed up with Styrofoam cups.

The school would rather that their fifth graders not be toting beverages around with them (that should wait until at least college, I guess;-)) so today we were told that no one younger than the high school kids can have drinks with them in class. Lol…I totally got in trouble for starting this whole mess. Good thing I am so darn cute…

Change of subject…I was reading Green Line Boy this morning, on the subject of Valentine’s Day. My question is: does anyone really care about Valentine’s Day? I mean, he seems to think that he needs to plan some sort of elaborate day full of chocolate, flowers, candlelight dinners, minstrels and rose petals (ok, I made that part up, he didn’t say any of that) or else his girlfriend will think him not completely devoted to her.

I guess this is really for the women out there…do you care about Valentine’s Day that much? I guess I would be pretty teed off if The Boy just totally ignored it, but I feel like anything more than a card and maybe some flowers would be overkill. Am I missing something? Was there a “you should be totally worshipped today” memo that I didn’t get? For crying out loud, it’s a Wednesday night! I don’t wanna go out and have some cheesy “romantic” dinner on a Wednesday.

I dunno…maybe this is a result of being from in a city where Valentine’s Day is most closely associated with a violent mass murder

14 comments:

Douglas said...

This is the only relationship holiday that I care about.

http://www.steakandbjday.com/

anne said...

I am totally with you - please don't ignore the day, but flowers will do just fine. Anything more is a waste and cheesy.

Anonymous said...

nope, never cared much for vday. but then again i've never had a boyfriend when it came around so maybe that's why. lol.

k.d. said...

v-day is no biggie here in germany. uhm, and that's good. :-)

Tiff Fernie said...

I don't want flowers on Vday. They are all TOO expensive just on that day. I'd just rather we spend the evening together. I don't even care about a card. I think V Day is just TOO overcommercialized and just being with the person you love is celebration of that day enough.

Now if he wants to take me to a nice dinner, I wouldn't object, but just us cooking dinner together at home is fine! :)

Ally said...

To me, this is more of a holiday for children--they get to give little Valentines to each other and have a party. I'm not really a big fan of this holiday and think it's more of a Hallmark day. A fun note and some candy or a small gift is enough, and I'd honestly rather get flowers on a random day (when they are better quality and cheaper).

In fact, one year (to my then boyfriend's surprise) I went out of town on VD without my boyfriend. He couldn't believe I didn't care about VD, but as I told him, it's just a Hallmark holiday; I care about how you treat me year round. But of course, I wasn't mad when I came home to three dozen roses.

ella said...

I agree with Ally - it is a holiday for children. And WAY overrated.
That being said, I would like to get flowers! :)

Kimberly said...

I love the kid's valentines. My granddad sends me one every year and signs it "Love, PaPa." That is my favorite valentine every year. My ex always forgot about Valentines and sometimes he would give me flowers the next day which really doesn't have the same effect. I mean I would appreciate even just a little square Sponge Bob or Power Rangers valentine on the actual day. Maybe that's being picky...

megabrooke said...

I'm not a big fan, anymore, at all. I will get my friends some little valentines, maybe some chocolate, and that's about it. Last year, shit hit the fan because my reaction to the flowers from my (now ex) boyfriend wasn't enthusiastic and timely enough, according to him. Blah.

Whine Girl said...

I'm with those that think it's a Hallmark holiday. I never thought that way until my ex father in law changed my mine. I watched their relationship in awe.. they were both two very amazing people. (she's since passed away from breast cancer), the first year I was married to his son, I asked him what he was getting mother in law for vday... he simply stated that he did not believe in that day... he didn't believe there should be one professed "holiday" to show someone you love them. He said that if you want to get a gift, chocolates, cards..flowers... you should do it anytime you want. I expressed that on glb's blog this morning (as my view) and it seems he took offense at it. Oh well? It definitely is a 'kid' thing... passing cards on that day in school is the limit to which I can actually appreciate the day. I wouldn't vomit if someone got me something on vday.. I don't mind if other's think it's something special.. but to get elaborate and all hyped up on that particular day is rather kiddy'ish, to me. I think that if you disagree with this, it's ok.. you can simply say, "well i love vday"... *shrug* no problem...

Anonymous said...

I am a card person. I can always be satisfied with a cute card. I dislike being given flowers because my last bfriend, who was not a great guy, gave me flowers every time he was trying to make up for something or cover something up. A little romantic gesture, nothing fancy or expense is always nice, but I agree that it should not only happen on VDay.

Aaron said...

...I think I should have waited until after Valentine's Day to start dating again. I can't WAIT to see what unfolds. (HINT: I won't be buying anyone anything this holiday.)

j;ljk said...

lol...that's funny about you being the reason for a new rule at the school! As for Vday...if I had a boyfriend I don't think I would care as much as long as he did something sweet for me...but being single on Vday definitely sucks as cliche as that sounds...Vday just brings too much expectations for everyone...

Jackson said...

My fiance hates valentines day. He says "its a capitalist holiday, and another way for the government to get more of our money"

I personally dont care. I'm like you though, dont completly ignore it but don't break the bank. Besides his mom is a florist, so I know that flowers are so...easy, for him.

but note: I LOVE that she is a florist b/c guess who gets free flowers for her wedding (ME!!). Well, not free but she's paying for my $2000-$3000 worth of flowers.