Thursday, January 25, 2007

Delivering Bad News

I had a little talk with Munchkin last night. There was a message from Whore Bag Aunt and Munchkin caught me swearing at her under my breath and finally asked me why we hadn’t seen or talked to her in a while. So I told her the whole story (it’s not a real nice story).

I had hoped to not have to tell her, just because it’s kind of a rotten thing to tell a kid about someone she thought loved her. But, at the same time, I felt like I owed her the truth, so when she asked, I told her the whole thing.

She took it pretty well…she takes everything well…but I can tell she was upset. I dunno…I try and protect her as best I can, but sometimes things happen that I can’t stop. I wish it were different.

So, when she went to bed she went into my bed, and then when I went to bed she woke up and said “I love you and I’m glad you’re my sister and that I live with you.” And then she fell back asleep and I cried for a while;-)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

she was going to find out sooner or later. at least now she knows the whole story and the both you can put it behind you and move on.

anne said...

Growing up is tough especially with these stories hidden in your past. I think the effort given to protect her and the fact that she knows you love her, care for her and she appreciates it - says a lot.

megabrooke said...

That's an awful story. But she heard it from you, which I'm sure she appreciates. It must be hard not always being able to protect her from everything. But you are doing the best you can. Munchkin is one lucky girl to have you in her life to look up to.

Anonymous said...

aww... how sweet. you're both lucky to have each other.

Tiff Fernie said...

I agree completely with Brooke. Munchkin is SO blessed to have you to love her and protect her. I will not harp on the family as I'm sure there is nothing I can say that you have not thought or discussed, but just know that karma's a bitch. :)
Munchkin is one tough little cookie, huh? :) Must get it from her big sister!

Still just me said...

If they ask, tell them in an age appropiate answer. That has always been my philosphy with my children. It teaches them honesty and respect, even though some of the answers may hurt them. I think you are a wonderful, and caring mother to Munchkin. Again, she is so lucky.

Aaron said...

I think you're a good kid, no matter what SHR says about you. :P