Monday, November 20, 2006

Holidays

OK, I will lay off the X-rated postings today…that didn’t seem to go over well (I can’t help it, it’s me).

I want to talk about Holidays, which I think I have sort of touched on, but want to again. Holidays tend to exacerbate emotions. If you are happy, then they make you happier, but if you are depressed, they tend to make you more so. They bring with them a certain kind of stress and intensity that just makes everything more intense. Especially Christmas, but Thanksgiving as well.

I used to get really bad seasonal depression, and I think the Holidays made it much worse. Fall and winter made me terribly depressed…cold weather, short days, I am not sure what it was. And then Thanksgiving and Christmas always seemed to highlight for me what other people had that I didn’t.

I hate Christmas specials and movies…HATE them. Or at least I used to, I could never stand to watch all of the happy, wealthy, two-parent families enjoying each other’s company in a healthy and productive way. The whole season just made me feel lost, inferior and abandoned.

The depression went away when I moved to Arizona. That, of course, makes a pretty good case that the cold weather has something to do with it…and it might. Mostly I think it was just the completely different mood of the place and of everyone I know. I feel like the people I knew in Chicago always felt a combination of beaten down, victimized, unlucky and resentful. They were unwilling or unable to let themselves really be happy because they suffered, and often took great pleasure in their suffering.

The people I met at school came from a totally different perspective, though. Things weren’t always conspiring against them and wouldn’t always turn out bad. People were genuinely willing to enjoy what they had and the people around them. I think it changed the way I look at the world and made it easier for me to spot the things I should appreciate.

I didn’t get any of the depression issues last winter, which is a good sign. Obviously, if it is the weather, than Boston is going to be just as bad as Chicago. I was also so ridiculously busy last winter that I never even had time to stop and think about whether or not I was sad…hopefully it doesn’t come back this winter.

And so far, so good. I kind of made my peace with the Holidays over the last few years, and I think I am genuinely looking forward to them this year. Well, maybe not the Christmas shopping part, but all the rest of it.

7 comments:

Povosgirl said...

First let me touch on your last post. Telling me about you sucking The Boy's cock...it awesome...rock on to you!

Second, how couldn't you not like all the Christmas cartoons that come on?!?! I always look forward to the stupid cartoons I've seen a million times!

Accidentally Me said...

The cartoons were ok...it was the movies that always killed me. Especially when they all end with the family sitting by a fire around the tree...ick.

Ally said...

I am so glad the tide has turned and that you're looking forward to the holidays and not having to deal with SAD (seasonal affective disorder). Even though I live in Georgia, I've struggled with it, and it is definitely not fun. I briefly considered moving to Boston when I was dating my ex (who lives there), but the lack of sunlight alone deterred me (not to mention the cold). Boston is at least beautiful during the summer, although the rain last spring (May)was soooo depressing!

Happy short work week!

Bob said...

Well I like the X rated posts, I am not sure how to reply to them as I almost never get laid anymore. And when I do it is completely vanilla with my wife telling me to hurry up and get it over with.

I do not like the holidays and I am sure that it has everything to do with experiences from my youth. My father always went out of his way to ruin Christmas because He was an abusive asshole. (both physically and mentally) I will admit that his Christmas memories REALLY sucked. Fortunately I broke the chain of abuse by not having children.

Whine Girl said...

I never really understand why adults allow their childhoods to essentially harm them now? Maybe I've just blocked it all out? Possibly! I had a psychotic mother and it'd make you cringe if I told you some of the things... but, as an adult and a mother, I know that the things she did was unacceptable as a parent. I can't allow it/her to affect me now. It's weird how the holidays depress/upset a lot of people... I just think it should be a time to be happy (and spent with those close to us).
They did a study on depression and the sun... those that live closer to the sun and that are touched more often by the sun's rays, are less depressed. I know that for sure, when I lived up north, the dreariness and darkness depressed me. I don't expect sunny skies everyday here in FL.. but it certainly helps with the way I feel/felt.

Whine Girl said...

Oh no.. I'm such a dork. Now I know what I didn't see my comment to begin with and posted it again.. you have to approve it first! Wow.. I'm an idiot!!

Accidentally Me said...

Jordan, you are absolutely right...I shouldn't let it bother me, and I don't think I do anymore. But it definitely did bother me for a very long time, and I hope that I can make it so that Munchkin doesn't feel the same way.

This motherhood thing really changes your persepctive, doesn't it? Lol