Thursday, December 28, 2006

Money and stuff

First things first…for Ella W, the number is now 8…it was a VERY good night.

I feel really important today. The executive committee called me from their meeting yesterday where they were figuring out bonuses. They were trying to get a finger on what the people in the firm were “expecting” and felt like I would have a good idea of it. Which I do…everyone tells me everything for some reason.

So I was sort of let in on the basic numbers (which I think also bodes well for me…I doubt they would let me listen in on the discussion of what the range would be if I was going to be at the bottom of the range.) It was very good news…I would say that most people figure that the payouts will be in the neighborhood of 20% of their base salary. The bosses seemed to settle on a range of anywhere from about 15%-30%. Two people are getting a huge number based on a specific thing they did, but I am not one of them:-P

Anyway, with this forthcoming windfall, along with my raise from last month, I am feeling kind of flush these days. Needless to say, this is not really a feeling I have ever had before in my life…Lol. It also gets me to some questions…

First of all, there can be absolutely no doubt that I live very much under the goodwill of Smoking Hot Roommate and Papa Bear. I pay SHR rent, but it is way, way, way less than would be considered a “market” based rent. Ballpark, I think a fair rent for me and Munchkin would probably be in the order of $5,000 a month….yes, you read that right. It is a really nice place… I pay her a very, very small portion of that.

And that doesn’t even get to tuition that they pay for Munchkin, which is another massive sum every year. Or the free use of the beach house (I know I keep promising…someday I will tell you about it in detail). Anyway, you get the picture, they give me a lot…

All of which makes me feel a little guilty when I get raises or bonuses. I feel like I should pay them back for the stuff they have given me. But, that almost implies that I ever could pay them back, which I doubt I ever could in real dollars. Nor would they let me…I usually have to yell at SHR to cash my rent checks, and if I try to give Papa Bear any money, he won’t take it.

So, most likely I will offer and he will refuse and tell me that he would rather I saved it. Which I can do…I have a financial advisor (again, someone who deals with some of their money and works with me almost solely as a favor to Papa Bear). My advisor is also really, really cute…hee hee…but that is a whole other story. I will also offer to pay SHR more rent, and could use all of your help in convincing her to take it:-P

I also kind of like saving money…I got really excited because I got my 401k statement a while back and there was like $20,000 in it. I think I am typically a little less excited about impulse purchases than most girls are; not that I don’t like useless and hyper-wasteful handbags, just maybe less than average. But I really like the idea of saving and building wealth for the future. Obviously I would like to buy a house someday, and maybe I will need to help Munchkin through college…I just don’t know.

I am kind of rambling, I guess. I also wonder why people are so hesitant to talk about money…it is like the ultimate taboo subject… I guess that is a longer subject for another day.

13 comments:

megabrooke said...

Congrats on the bonus! Enjoy it. You are very lucky to have such amazing people in your life.

Whine Girl said...

I'm not going to even try to convince SHR to accept more money from you unless she truly needed it... they seem to be extradordinary people who absolutely love helping you and Munchkin. Just keep the house clean, keep on being a great friend and raise Munchie right. I think that's all they could ask for.

Accidentally Me said...

brookem - I am extraordinarly lucky, and I try and say thank you every day...sometimes more than once.

Jordan - Hee hee..."Munchie". I like it!!!

And do you have any alternatives to cleaning? I really don't like cleaning...lol. I can cook some, is that ok?

Douglas said...

I find people with money love to talk about it and those without loathe talking about it. I would be in the loathing category.

People help because they want too, one day you will have the opportunity to help and then it becomes a sort of duty. The pass it on concept.

Does Pappa Bear want to adopt a son?

Whine Girl said...

billy, oh no you don't. I'm already in line to be Papa Bear's next daughter.... get in line!

Anonymous said...

No way! I am already only the third favorite of his two kids, I refuse to be bumped down the list any further than I already am!

He did always want a son, however, which explains why I was taught to play golf, diagram defenses and keep score at baseball games all before age 6.

Douglas said...

Take that Jordan...he wants a SON! And well, you could become a man type thing or something...but you still wouldn't have all the scratching and spitting down.

SHR..you kept score at Baseball games. Wow. I am sorry. As if Baseball isn't boring enough. You had to learn what the 6-4-3 meant in a 6-4-3 double play.

He should spring for some rehab for you because of that!

j;ljk said...

Congrats on the bonus, it sounds like you definitely deserve it! You seriously have some amazing and loving people in your life, and you're so blessed to have them! I'm sure they don't expect anything from you other than being an amazing friend and rolemodel to your little sister. =)

Whine Girl said...

Hey!! I LOVE baseball!! Tell Papa Bear will ya? Billy, I can scratch and spit with the best of them probably... I'll even practice. I'll even wear a ballcap backwards if I have to. With my name being used for both genders.. I can always tell him I'm a boy.

Bob said...

Save and invest as much of your money as possible now and you will be able to do what ever you want later in life. I started investing in my 401k when I was 19 and I really have quite a pile now. (for a poor kid who ate free gub'ment lunches in JR High school) Compounding is your friend as I am sure you already know.

k.d. said...

my comment's gone!? no!? :-/

Aaron said...

I don't mind talking about money. Feel free to place some in my 401k. :D

ella said...

I'm a bit behind on my blog reading. But up to 11 now! Awesome! :)

Money is a touchy subject, but you are right - one day you will want to buy a house and put Munchkin to college. I don't think SHR will accept more rent.